1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hollow bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoomingBass, Apr 20, 2010.

1. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Can someone recommend a cheap semi-hollo/ hollow bass and tell me the advantages in tone of having one?
    :bassist:

2. Often hollowbodies can give nice thumpy, woody tone, and are probably the best option for recreating an upright sound. Being hollow (or semi-hollow) can make them very light, though many tend to neck-dive as a result (no problem with a wide strap though). It's also an appearance thing. Many like hollowbodies because they look very nice, so it depends on your bass tastes.

The Artcores are nice for the price. Another good cheap option is the Eastwood Classic 4, very Gretchesque and they get some good reviews here & there. Depending on what you classify as 'cheap', the Epiphone Jack Casady is a great bass.

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    De Armond Starfires are killer hollow bodies if you can find one used. Has a great woody upright tone, and the neck can really put out some clean country or reggaer thump. Dial in the bridge pickup, and it's far more versatile than you might think.

4. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I just bought an Epiphone Viola bass for short money and I'm really digging it. It's semi hollow. Short scale makes it easy to play. It's also lighter than my other basses. With flatwound strings it has a huge warm tone. I play reggae 90% of the time so it's perfect for me. I also have a Rickenbacker and a Fender Jazz and at about 1/8th the price it sounds just as nice as my other basses.

5. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Check out the web site for 'Jay Turser'. They're pretty inexpensive.

Rezdog

6. CAW

CAW

Apr 18, 2010
    A friend of mine has a Hoffner. Granted, that's not a "cheap" hollow body, but you also asked about the sound. The biggest difference I've noticed in how it plays is that note sustain is very short. Notes die out fast, unlike my Stingray5 where they'll ring out for aeons if you don't dampen them yourself.

Hoffner has a $700ish version as I recall. Not sure if that's still too expensive for you or not. There are also several companies that make Hoffner knock-offs in the $300-$350 range. I see those in Guitar Center all the time, as the real Hoffners are considered too expensive to stock.

Hoffners are also a good choice if you are looking for a lefty version (as my friend needed).