Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holy cow! Now THAT's a studio!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    www.realworldstudios.com

[​IMG]

Wow. That Peter Gabriel dude sure has some serious cash to blow. I'm simply blown away. The've got the whole history of the studio, how they built it, and panoramic views of lots of the rooms. Unbelievable.

When I get crazy rich and famous I want to record there. Until then I'll stick with my $20 desk and my MBox. :bawl:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My Lord...

I hate rich people.

Wait I mean I love rich people... hey peter gabriel, wanna hang out sometime? you know... at your studio... yeah you can leave now I'll be in here for a few years.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    For all that amazing gear this

is pretty pitiful.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh for sure, they have Neve gear, they don't need computers, but still, if you're going to go all out on a studio, might as well go ALL OUT :p

They actually have multiple computer systems, including DP g4s with respectable amounts of RAM and HD

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Great Caesar's Ghost.

*throws away Alesis mixer and M-Audio card and burns down apartment building with a lovely view of storage units and tollway*

6. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I love that you said "when" :).

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd love to see that place. It'd be fun to just play in, not really to record, just to jam. Aye, if I ever have that much money...I'll buy everyone on TB their wish bass, under $2000. :p

Ray

8. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha

*makes note to self* Sounds like I may get a nice bass after all :D

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It'll be a contest. First person to get to 100,000 posts would win 5 grand prizes (bass of choice), and there would be about 200 2nd place prizes (Bass of choice under $2000) and about 500 3rds (bass of choice under $1250) :p. Wouldn't that be fun? :D What would you choose (I think that would end up being hijacking, lets not go there).

Ray

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm more impressed by the ambiance of it. It's looks great inside, and a beautiful view outside (I don't know anything about gear). My studio is in a dingy kitchen, when I look outside I see a parking lot and a gross stream. It's got to be inspirational.

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    For such a nice studio, it's amazing they have such a crappy collection of mics. No self respecting studio should be advertising anything like that. Heck, I have twice as many AKG's as they do, and I'm sure I only have half (or a quarter) as many channels. And I have a C-61 for recording acoustic guitars, which IMO is one of the best ("most useful") mics AKG ever made. But, to each his own. I'm just wondering whether tracking engineers are expected to bring their own mics? :)

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't think they've updated their gear list in a while. I'm sure they've got tons of stuff that they don't list, and certainly a better computer than what's listed.

13. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    What the hell are you talking about? You realize there is a scroll bar on right don't you? I think its a pretty intimidating mic locker. Nice Neuman line up and real U47 that ain't bad. Not to mention the Soundfield stuff and the pair of C12VR's. Did not see an SM7 though, thats o.k. I'll bring mine, and anybody that keeps ten 421's around is alright in my book.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    They have 15 SM57s...

Ray

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Edit: I'm an idiot, I can't read, I thought you said SM57, not SM7. Ignore my post...

Ray

16. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    LOL :) No Problem. Not the first time.

17. That studio has balls ! :D (sorry)
    I think all the natural lighting is way cool . Most the studios I have been in have been more like caves . This would be like recording in a park or somthing .

18. Eh, I guess that's okay. Mine is way better though:

[​IMG]

:D

Yes, that is a Behringer 12-channel mixer on the glass table (classy!). We spared no expense!

- Dave

19. uh... Dave... could you point out the glass table?

:bag:

20. on top of the blue painted thingy...