1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Holy Grail Reverb with bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wshines1892, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Alright, i creeped on the pedalboards thread to see if any of you guys were using the Holy Grail reverb for your bass, and it was to no avail. I'm wondering if anyone's ever tried this and how it sounded? I really want a reverb pedal for my bass, but it seems that none of the stores around here carry the holy grail.

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'd assume it would sound like most reverb pedals do for bass.

I've been on a reverb quest of my own lately trying to find one that I really like. So far I've played around with or owned:
    BOSS RV-5
    HardWire RV-7
    Dr. Scientist Radical Red (Mini) Reverberator

I think I liked the RV-7 just a little more than the RR(mini)R because it wasn't as super-treble-heavy as the RR(mini)R was on the more extreme reverb settings. The RV-5 was good, but not amazing IMHO. I've got an EBS DynaVerb coming to me in the mail very shortly.

If nothing else, you could buy one from a store, and just return it within the money back guarantee period if you hated it. Or just sell it through the classifieds on here if you don't return it in time. :D

3. kful

kful

Apr 25, 2009
    Garden Grove, CA
    I have a Holier Grail. I think it sounds great with both guitar and bass.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    The bassist from Dead Meadow uses one to great effect.

jamersonburton likes this.
  5. VoodooDust

VoodooDust

Jul 3, 2010
    Germany
    @ Deluge Could you point me to a Dead Meadow Song where his use of reverb can be heard? I think my ears are still a tad underdeveloped in picking out the effects of... well effects. I`m actually thinking about getting a new pedal too and it`s either the Q-Tron or the Holy Grail (I love EHX stuff)

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    That's the tricky bit: he uses it as an always on effect (at least, as far as I can tell) to add some boom/depth to his live tone.

You can really hear it on the three kings version of Beyond The Fields We Know:

Listen to the bass "solo" about halfway through the track to really get a good idea.

7. I use the holy grail plus. The blend control is very useful. After my dirt pedals, this is my most used effect.

8. neuman

neuman

Mar 24, 2009
    Riga, Latvia
    I really liked my Holy Grail; switched to a Chicklet as i want to keep my real-estate manageable.

9. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    I had one of the older ones for about a year...was stolen. I didn't replace it. It's better than a Boss RV - colors the sound a little less. What I didn't like about it: as you turn the "reverb" knob up it also increases the "room size." (I didn't make this up; I read it somewhere.) You end up with a really cavernous reverb. Since I was using an FX blender and wanted to keep the wet signal on 100%, this was not good for me. I have the T.C. Electronic Novaverb now and love it.

10. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    The Bass Player from Kings of Leon Uses reverb as well.

I'm using the reverb effects on my Line6 M9. Totally loving it.

11. My biggest pedal trade regret was trading my RV3 for a Boss PS3 then hearing how awesome they sound together......

Anyway, I used to use the holy grail, but found less and less need for it in my music. It was a nice box for sure. I glued a beer cap to the knob so I could grab it with my foot for big booms. Use a soda cap if you are interested and underage.

grahamrowell likes this.
  12. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Thats a good idea! Might try that on a few pedals... if it fits. The mode selector on my RV-7 is probaly the most turned knob in my entire setup. It's hard to see the line and too easy to turn the knob past the desired setting. Beer bottle cap might be too big, maybe the cap from one of those miniature glass coca-cola bottles will fit.

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    sounds like it. they sound amazing together

14. I used to have one (mainly for guitar), found it fun for over the top stuff, but as a spring reverb I thought it was rubbish. I sold it and bought a Van Amps Sole Mate (an actual spring reverb in a large pedal), very happy with it.

15. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I use a Holy Grail with great effect. I really like the spring setting as long as you're below noon, but find the hall and flerb settings to be borderline useless.

jamersonburton likes this.
  16. Voss451

Voss451

Mar 2, 2009
    I just picked up a Line 6 Verbzilla and it sounds exactly as I hoped it would. I dial in just enough to add some depth to my sound and I'm good to go.