1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

home made pick up

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pdmackie, Feb 8, 2005.

1. pdmackie

pdmackie

Feb 8, 2005
    I play bass in a bluegras band and i've always had problems wiht pick ups.
    i've used a shadow and a fishman and i've tried them on the bridge and various places on the body but they have never been satisfactory and after about 4 years the fishman pickups have detached from the metl contact plate.

our banjo player has suggested a pudding - a speaker wedged under th the tailpiece. he made one for me from a cheap oval speaker and a transformer (total cost £8). i tried it last night for the first time and it produced a more natural and better balanced sound than i ever achieved with the fishman.

has anyone used this method and if so is there any benefit in using better materials i.e. a decent speaker

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    D'Armond (and old Toledo, OH company) made a pickup quite similar to this in the '50's. I had a chance to play a bass with one of these on it, and it didn't sound half-bad. It did tend to want to feed back, though.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That isn't a pickup, it is a microphone.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Would you settle for 'contact mic'? I think the Schertler is a similar idea on a micro-scale, no?

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  6. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Dean Markley makes a contact mic I think they call an "accelerometer" or something that attaches to the instrument with putty. I paid about $45 for one new and it works as advertised - good natural sound. Never was able to get it to work well live, though.