homemade stands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by katherine, Jun 8, 2004.

1. katherine

Jun 8, 2004
    We have a new school bass living at our house and want to keep it safe. Does anyone have a plan for building something on the wall to keep it upright? thanks
  2. go to your local music shop, and go buy a cheapy stand for around $5, they work fine...
  3. I take it you're talking about a (big) upright bass?

Either Sam Ash or Musician's Friend, I can't remember which, has a stand for a cello that's basically a padded wooden box maybe a foot high open at the top, the instrument just sits in it upright. You could make something like that, sized properly. Might have to add a couple of padded cleats to help hold it.

If you're talking a regular electric, though, and you want to hang it on the wall, just go buy some hangars from Sam Ash for about $10 each. I've made wooden hangars, but after that, i found out it's easier just to buy them...and they're actually better than my homemade ones.
  4. nope, she said to KEEP it upright, not an upright....
  5. plus were in Bass Guitar forum... plus she said new school, not old school...
  6. sorry, i'm dense, see my edited post.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    These On-Stage Stands are cool, but I like a little more neck support to feel safe:

These are great, fit most shape instruments...

But these don't take up floorspace. Doesn't work with headless instruments tho :)

They're all under $20.
  8. Yes, I finally bought the wall hangars like tplyons' last picture. They work well, I've now got several of them. Definately the way to go around the house, very secure compared to a floor stand.
  9. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    does the hangar have to hit the stud behind the wall, or is it ok just in the wall?
  10. They give you some anchors so you COULD just put it in the drywall...but I'm not going to risk the anchors pulling out. I set them in the studs (thank goodness for electronic studfinders).
  11. Yeah, those plastic anchors have yet to pull out of my drywall, and those basses have been hanging for a couple years now...

I love the string swings...