1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hondo 8200 Fame

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DarkLethe, Aug 23, 2012.

1. DarkLethe

DarkLethe

Aug 19, 2012
    Hey so I just acquired an old Hondo 8200 bass with the intent of revitalizing it as a project bass. I wanted to get some input from you guys or any ideas you may have. Also information on Hondo basses is pretty hard to find, does anyone have an idea of what the age range may be for this bass or how I can find out?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I have nothing constructive to contribute, but WOW that string action is intense.

Is there a serial number somewhere? In the neck pocket or on the neck heel perhaps?

3. DarkLethe

DarkLethe

Aug 19, 2012
    No serial numbers to be found. I really dig the headstock and Fender ripoff logo. Im debating if I should add a pickguard or keep it original. I've already stripped all the parts and electronics, sanded down to the grain. Now where to go from here.....

4. I'd ad a Jazz PU and turn it into a jazz bass special.

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Check the pickups, if they are Dimarzios, then you know it's post 1978...

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    I like the 1980's versions with the brass bridge pieces and string-thru-body construction.
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Electric-Guitars-3419/2009/6/Hondo-Fame-Series-8200.htm

There are 3 Hondos here with the construction mentioned at the top of the page, all with maple fretboards, and 2 with the "FAME" logo. One came with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder's in it and it sounds the best. The other 2 will get that upgrade.
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pbass/passive/spb3_quarterpou/
    I gig with these now with one of them being a main bass.

I'm not sure of the neck on yours(i.e. if it can be adjusted, neck angle set right, etc.). IF that part is OK, I'd replace the stock pickup with SD's and go from there.

7. DarkLethe

DarkLethe

Aug 19, 2012
    Yea i just got in the spb-3's yesterday. I also got some new tuners because one of the old ones snapped off. I de-rusted the old bridge so im keeping that for now. Got all new pots in and input, just waiting for a nut (old one was cracked) and some knobs to come in. The body is in the process of being prepped for paint. Had to fill the old pickup routes a little bit because the spb's are a bit smaller than the previous. The new pots are a bit shorter also so I have routed the back cavity a little deeper. I want to refinish the neck at some point but I would like to keep the Fame/Hondo logo. Ive thought about maybe a pickguard, but Im not sure how well it would fit and I dont want to ruin the "Hondoness" of this bass. Im keeping the slab body aswell.

8. Rick Robins

Rick Robins

Jan 13, 2010
    NEPA
    A year late ..but how did this end up? I had this same bass when I was a kid, purchased new 1986. Funny reading what you had to say here. My G sting tuning peg snapped off one day & the nut also cracked on the E string side & shot out of it while I was playing a gig. I thought the body was plywood. ????

9. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Do you have pictures of the sanded bass, or do you know what kind of wood it is? plywood? I'm looking at one of these and was surprised to see that it looked like a mahogany neck.

10. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    No pickguard, useless if no cavity underneth enabling it to be used to hold the controls and hide the cavity. I'd put a jazz pickup (or a humbucker jazz pickup), and a passive preamp in it just to give it more options.

11. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I don't think your going to get a response, he hasn't been on in over a year.