Hondo II H830S

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bill Godfrey, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Bill Godfrey

Bill Godfrey

Apr 21, 2019
    Was given a Hondo II 4 string bass. Could not find a serial #. Only thing found was a sticker on the back of the neck plate that says H830s. Trying to find any info about it. Date manufactured, worth ect. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Based on the paint job I'm guessing that has a plywood body. Neck looks pretty chunky. It's good that it still has the bridge and pickup covers. If the truss rod works, frets aren't too worn and it's playable, it might be worth $150 more or less.

These older cheap basses aren't so desirable any more, now that there are lots of new even cheaper choices.

Bill Godfrey likes this.
  3. Bill Godfrey

Bill Godfrey

Apr 21, 2019
    It plays good. If it was a plywood body, should it weight 12 lbs?

4. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    It might. Plywood tends to be fairly heavy.

Unfortunately the weight isn't going to help the value.

5. Bill Godfrey

Bill Godfrey

Apr 21, 2019
    I see. Thanks for the info. Do you know what year it was made?

6. This is probably late 70's / early 80's. In their day, Hondo's, Lotus, Elektra, and more were the First Act guitars of their day, cheapos for guys who walked into the music store and weren't willing to spend more money on real Fenders, Gibsons, or Rics. Then Hartley Peavey intro'd the T60/T40, the Japanese Matsumoku-built guitars hit, and most of those products faded away. In a changed-hands-many-times case, it sort of survives as JB Player.

7. Bill Godfrey

Bill Godfrey

Apr 21, 2019
    I had someone re string it for me. They took the neck off an it is a solid body.

Bass V likes this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    cool to know the bursting isn't 100% conclusive re ply vs solid bodies. either way Hondo Ps are good basses.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021