Honest Opinoin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mjury02, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Mjury02

Mjury02

Feb 26, 2010
    Illinois
    Right now I run an ESP LTD B seris into a Monster Cable bass cable, into a BDDI, into our PA which is 2 JBL MRX 15's and 2 MRX 18's... For my monitor I use my Fender 15, 200 watt combo amp... I know.. It was a cheap buy, the bass and amp for 400... Kinda like a sore dick the way the bass plays. Right now I am looking to upgrade my rig... I'm wantin to get a Tech 21 RBI use that for a little while, whlie upgrading slowly with a BBE sonic Max, and Compressor... My other option is to save my money and buy an Ashdown Evo III with an ABM 414T cab... I personally would like to have the Ashdown Evo III, but, money is expensive, so I was wanting to know what the board feels on buying a rack vs. head is... Either way I want to buy the cab, if not that one, by the time I do some research, I'll find 10 better ones, but with gigging and gettin anywhere from 500 to 700 per gig for a 3 piece, playin 2 times a month it shouldn't be that big of a problem to get what I want, but I have what people on this board call GAS, wondering what would be an easier setup... Let me know what you think...:bassist:

2. jowens004

jowens004

Jul 25, 2009
    Windermere, FL
    Check out the new Mesa Boogie stuff. It Smokes!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, +1 get yourself a Mesa M6 Carbine and a Powerhouse 212. If that doesn't do it, add another PH212. Done.

4. Check out the Orange Tiny Terror Bass amp. I've used mine with a variety of cabs, and I'm really pleased with the sound. I paid $775 for the Terror, and I get a great sound with an Orange SP212 and an OBC115 for the larger gigs.

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    If you like your BDDI get the RBI and a nice light poweramp . Carvins new light series and Crown XTI amps are fairly inexpensive and can give you better power than what the bass amp companies sell for less money . Also look at QSC poweramps , they've got some great ones too . Since you are going with a Sonic maximizer and a compressor you might as well go with a pre-poweramp rig since you need a rack anyway . The RBI is a great preamp for playing live , I used one for about 8 years with Crown poweramps till I got my Markbass head last year it and sounds great on stage and sound men love them too .Same DI as your BDDI.

I'd go with the pre/poweramp route . More power and versatility for less money .You can pick up RBI preamps in the TB classifieds for about $200 quite often and good used poweramps there too for around $300 to $400 . That would get you a amp that would womp most name brand bass amps and only cost $500-$600 .

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021