Honey, I'm home!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    OK, OK. I'm back. Mild applause will suffice.

Some words of explanantion, a request and another few words of explanantion.

WHY I LEFT - bad life stuff, mostly. In October of 2002 my mom was diagnosed with Stage IIIb lung cancer. It was inoperable, but she responded fairly well to the first round of chemo. But not to the second. So spending time typing to a bunch of strangers online did not seem to be the best use of my time. We did get to spend some good time together, and then some not so good time. She died this past September.

WHY I DONE WHAT I DONE - remember there were more than a few contentious exchanges with a couple of posters that were still on the board. I was not going to walk off and leave something I said in a position of some challenge to it being made that I wasn't in a position to respond to. Maybe you would have done something different, maybe not. It was what I did and I don't want to spend any time defending my position or arguing with you. If you don't like THAT, may I politely suggest you go f**k yourself. If you have a position that you want to discuss, here I am. Let's talk about now, not then.

PETER DALLA - yeah OK. I was surfing the site, but not posting, just to check in from time to time. But then PAWLIE hadda go and make some changes and it looked like I couldn't invisibly surf, so I went and created an "alter ego". And then I was checking in a little more and a little more and then I posted a couple of inconsequential things and the BAM the next thing you know there was a substantive exchange. I guess some of you had been paying attention, cause you picked up on how much Peter's solos sounded like mine.

But I meant no harm, didn't do any self promotion any of that crap. And here I am, full disclosure. OK?

anyway, I'm back.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Welcome back, Ed.

I always enjoyed your posts, even if I never had any serious discussions with you, apart from a couple of recommendations on trios, or something.

Sorry to hear about your mom. I lost mine 3 weeks ago to a heart attack, so I feel your pain. I'm glad you got to spend some quality time with yours before she passed away.

Anyway, welcome back, again.
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Welcome back.

Sorry about your Mom.

I always enjoyed your posts and I never got the chance to get Fuqua'd
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Welcome Back Ed! I'm looking forward to reading some of your pearls of wisdom in the future.

Sorry about your Mom.
  5. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Sorry about your mom Ed, but life goes on and time is usually our best friend in these situations...ok, im really glad you're back, your advice and posting was always top notch... its a great day for talkbass

6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Dalla Be all of Peter den ?
  7. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Welcome back, Ed. That Dalla guy was starting to get on my nerves.

Sorry to hear about your mom. My mom also succumbed to lung cancer, and her illness definitely made just about any problem in my life seem ridiculously insignificant.

Enjoyed you Ben Allison piece, BTW.
  8. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

Ed welcome back.
  9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Great to have you back Ed. Also good to know that the reason didn't have anything to do with the threads themselves or talkbass in general. Very sorry to hear about your mother. Family is the most important thing in the world.
  10. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Welcome home Ed. Mild applause... My condolences on losing your Mom.

I'll be honored to some day have my name Fuqua'd.
  11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Sorry about your mother

good to have you back
  12. Good to see your return Ed. About a year ago both my brother and father had colon cancer. Both had major surgery but are currently doing well. Something like that does put a lot of things in perspective.
  13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    And that's a very good thing.

Nice article on Ben Allison, BTW. Looking at it, I never felt like you went TOO far away . . . .

Anyway, in matters of the heart, explanations are pointless. Or, "whatevah."
  14. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Man, Ghostbuster AND the EDucatanator back in the same month!! I'm getting teary eyed.....

Seriously, good to have you back. The board is a lot better off when you're around. You made the right decision by putting family first.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    LERMALICIOUS - naw, you know me, I can keep talking almost as long as you. But (as one can see checking some of the threads concerning by abrupt departure) people have no qulams about posting all kinds of spurious specualtion and, if you're not around to counter, alla that sh*t just stays out there forever.

Thanks for all the condolences. It's not so sharp a pain these days, so please don't feel like you have to post a "Sorry" or a "welcome back". we can just get back to business.

Unless that sounds too arrogant or elitist?

S'MUEL & MONTY - hey, posting at the same time. That bastard Ray Parker, he's just not spending enough time here. And now the mofo's going to Japan. Thumb position idea playing chops monstering bastard. Hoepfully we're gonna make teh trek out to see JefeJeff when IT STOPS SNOWING.
    But it's gonna be good to see you guys on a regular basis again.
  16. SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    Yes, it is good to have Dread Hookah back. Looking forward to future Fuquaisms. There were some valiant attempts at waxing Fuquatic in the interim, but it just wasn't the same.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  18. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Ed, welcome back -- you know we missed you.

I had a hand in outing Peter as you -- sorry if it caused any weirdness. The similarities were indeed very, er, similar but still, I'm a bit surprised (but delighted) to have been right about that....

As for e-mailing back and forth between strangers, I know what you're saying. If it helps any by making it personal: in the time I've been hanging at TBdotCalm I've gotten serious (finally) about improving my jazz playing. Working with a teacher, practising my used-to-be-skinny butt off, playing with some good players, and focusing on getting more music out of my head and through the bass. The number one reason for this development in my life I say is TalkBass and the inspiring palaver and interchange that goes on here. You've obviously been a big part of that action.

So: e-mailing with strangers, yes. Without influence, or to no good end? No way. Keep up the good stuff...
  19. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Welcome back Ed! Yeah, that alter ego did sound so much like you. It would have been frightening if it wasn't you, but I guess there's a remote possibility that someone else had the same style of writing. BTW, how did you avoid the temptation to do the name thing, AQUA FED?
  20. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

For the longest time, I thought your name was already Fuqua'd :) That missing space was a real brain blocker. (Which is particularly odd considering my screen name employs the same concept)

The family reunion is nice, and I love group hugs and all. But I'd much rather see Ed smack someone down. Shoot, even if it's me.

I like to see Ed post, because there was always a decent chance of me reading it and saying " I should have said that. "

Anyway, welcome back.