1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hooking Up an iPod

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by agreatheight, Mar 21, 2009.

1. I am hoping someone with some real understanding of such things can answer this:

To hook an iPod up to my mixer, do I absolutely need to buy a dock to send a line level signal to the board into the tape in, or can I sent the amplified headphone out signal into the tape in? I was ready to buy a dock until I found out they are $50 and don't come with power, an additional $30.

Thanks!
    Eric

2. BR Audio

BR Audio Guest

Apr 13, 2006
    You should have no problem with just an 1/8" to dual RCA(or 1/4") straight out of the iPod. I've been doing that for a long time now. It won't give you the best signal to noise ratio, but it is good enough 90% of the time. Just make sure you don't have your volume cranked all the way up. Around 75% will actually sound a little better.

Gil

3. Hi.

I've had no problems with the 1/8" ->RCA stereo adapters.

Regards
    Sam

4. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    I agree, and 1/8" to whatever should work fine without the dock. I build my own 1/8" to XLR, as some of the mixers I use don't have any rca, ot 1/4" inputs. Here is a handy reference to build interconnects.:
    http://www.rane.com/note110.html

5. Right on. I have been running it that way for a while, but thought I'd make sure.

Peace!

6. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    I do this at gigs and jams where I'm responsible for the sound to play a little music during setups. Volume really does have to be at 50-75% IME, or the high tones of whatever you're playing become overly pronounced.