Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

horn not working

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ss81, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    I posted about this in Peavey's forums and got a bunch of dead air, maybe somebody here might be able to help me out. The horn on my 410tvx has never worked in all the time I've had it. I'm hoping it's an easy fix, like the previous owner just hated it and disconnected it, but I might end up having to replace it. Does anybody know where I might be able to find a schematic to show me what the wiring is supposed to look like? If it comes down to having to replace it, is this pretty easy to do (like changing pickups in a guitar) and what would you all recommend as a replacement?

Thanks.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    First step - remove the tweeter and check it's plugged in. As you say, it's not uncommon for people to disconnect a wire or 2 if they're not tweeter fans. A tweet wires up exactly the same as a normal speaker - One positive wire, one negative wire.

If it's plugged in and not working, it's probably blown and you'll need a replacement. There are thousands to choose from. The trick is to check the impedance rating of the old tweet and match it with the new one. In other words, if the old tweet is 8 ohms, the new one should also be 8 ohms in order to keep the crossover working effectively. The ohm rating can be found on the back of the tweet, usually stamped on to the magnet.

3. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. I've checked both the tweeter (has two wires connected) and the rear panel where the tweeter volume knob is (a bunch of wires connected), it doesn't appear that anything's wrong but I really don't know what it's supposed to look like in the first place. It's a Fostex, and it's 8 ohms. I checked Fostex's website but none of their horn tweeters look like mine. Are most horn tweeters the same size? Will most serve as drop-in replacements without any modification?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yours might be an older model.

It's unlikely a new tweet wil drop in perfectly. Does their website have any details about the size of the cut-out required for each tweet? If so, it should be a simple matter of measuring your current cut-out and getting a tweet that matches.

The other option off course is to simply modify your cab to fit the new tweet. Making the hole larger isn't difficult if you've got access to a jigsaw. Making it smaller is also easy if you use a thin piece of ply to cover the existing hole, paint it to match the cab, then cut a new hole at the correct size. If you get creative with the plywood, you can use it to enchace the cab's appearance. For example, cut it into a diamond shape as one TBer did a while ago when he installed a Peerless tweet into his Avatar (I can't remember who it was and I haven't got time to search for it right now).