how about this setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Aug 8, 2004.

1. i think i have decided to get (2) 2x10s and the yorkie xs400h head itsw 400watts at 4ohms and 275 at 8 ohms, i would get the 2x10s in 8ohms, this way i could just use one 2x10 for small gigs pushing 275 watts through it, and then when i need to push more air and need more power i would add the other 2x10 and it would be basicall a 4x10.

what 2x10 cabs do you think would shine the best with the yorkville xs400h?

do you think this setup could handle outdoor gigs WITHOUT PA SUPPORT?

if not what would be a better portable setup?
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sorry dude, but no. They will not handle outdoor gigs without support.

Unless it is a very small outdoor gig.

I run 1200w through a 4x10 and it struggles outside.

Use your 2x12 and invest in power.

Big cones mean big air.

Outside, without p.a. support, it is all about moving BIG AIR!!

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What lowtonejoe said. If you're outdoors in an open air situation, a kilowatt is probably "not enough". And don't even think about using a 2x10. These days my standard stage rig has 1200 watts, and when I'm outdoors I supplement that with 2100 more watts and a pair of 18" subs. Low frequencies travel through the ground, and it takes a lot of juice to get them from point A to point B. Now if you had 400 "tube" watts, it might be a different story. Tube amps are a different beast entirely. An SVT through a fridge is plenty loud outdoors. But, you don't get that earth shaking bottom. Lots of good fat low mids though.
  4. what about a 1x12/2x10 setup

what would be some good setup besides my 2x12
  5. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I am thinking about getting a Bergantino HT322. It has a 12 and 2 10's in a single cab.

However...I know that outdoors it will be nothing but a stage monitor.

6. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Experience incident- (in regards to 210's used outside.)
    A year ago I was on Padre Island sipping a cool one when music struck up somewhere behind me. I was on the beach approximately 150 yards from the hotel with an 8 foot sea wall seperating us. After a couple songs I had to investigate since it sounded too damn good note for note (and loud). Being a bass man I only cared for where that beautiful bass tone was coming from!
    When I located it, I learned it was a live band at the hotel's outside cabana. Bass gear used-Warwick Corvette and Ampeg B2R throwing through ONLY an Eden 210XLT. For what it's worth........
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not all 2x10s will do this but if you have enough watts you should be ok
    outdoors i have run my bagend 1x15 and 1x12 with 800 watts and really not had to use the amps full potential
  8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I own an Eden D210XLT. I used to find it's tone somewhat nasal and usually eq'ed it out but very recently have really begun to appreciate it.

They DO sound great!

At 150 yards away you were only hearing its high and midrange tone.

Definitely no thump at that range.

Unless it was some strange acoustic phenonenon, like reflections off rock walls & such. Then I could see it happening but definitely not the norm.

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Bag Ends Rock!

I bought my Bag End S15-CUS and my Eden D210XLT at about the same time. I was really just starting out as a gigging bass player (I had about 15 years of guitar playing under my belt).

That was a mistake.

The Bag End is so fast that I found that I didn't need the 210. But I kept it anyway. :)

But did I learn my lesson?

I wanted more bass at higher volumes! So what did I do? I bought a Goliath III 4x10. I thought 'WoW! I can push 1200W through a 700W cab! It will have the deepest lows on earth!' Well, I was wrong. You need big cones to move big air.

10. i thought that the XS400 head by Yorkville was a tube head...i might be wrong however..
  11. its a tube pre amp

ok differnet i dea what about the new pro series peavey bam 2x10 combo its 350watts i know you are going to say that it cant handle outdoors but some of the owners of this thing say thbat is plenty of volume but just incase i nedd to have more volume i can add a extension cab probably a 1x15 cab! that will make it a 500watt 2x12/1x15 setup and i have heard these things are wicked loud!!!
  12. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey Lowtonejoe,
    Did you get that bag end S-15 cus new or used? Just curious. How do you like it? I bought mine a couple of years ago and it really does a nice job coupled with my bag End S15d. At the time I bought it I was told that Bag End was going to make it a regular item in their catalogue, but I have never seen it listed on their web page and only know of one other person here at TB that owns one besides me and now you. Anyway, as far as outdoor gigs go, Saturday night I played on an outdoor stage with just my two SWR goliath II Jr's @ 350 watts into each cab and it sounded pretty good although I thought I could use a little more volume. Last night I played on a rather large outdoor stage using my Ampeg 410 and 15 with my amp bridged at 1000 watts and still felt I could have used a little more. I guess I owe it to my Bag End set up to try it outdoors but I've been kind of afraid to. My Bag End set up always sounded better in clubs where I've had a corner I could set it in and on outdoor stages you don't have any walls or corners to reflect sound. I guess the key to outdoor stages is more speakers, larger speakers and plenty of power.
  13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I bought mine new from Bass NW. I live it! I just wish it had a higher power rating. I fried my first cone. It was replaced under warranty and when I called them to find out what the problem was I found it was a problem they have once in a while. Apparently something about the construction of the cones is very, very precise and once in a while a mistake is made and a cone goes bzzt!

Yeah, I talked to Evan Sheely at Bass NW about it not being in their catalog. He said that although he was pushing to get it in since it seemed to be what people wanted but he was meeting resistance from the people at Bag End. They feel their 18 is plenty fast if you want deeper lows. I guess they didn't budge.

I know what you mean about feeling shy about using it outside. It was at an outdoor gig that I fried it. I also think you are right about playing outside. More cabs and power is what is needed.

But yeah, I love the tone of my S15-CUS! I wish I was playing more intimate gigs where the tone could really be appreciated both by me and the listeners.

Oh well. I get to hear it at practice anyway. That's where I have been using it.

Oh, and about it sounding better in corners, you are right. Remember, it is rear ported. Porting makes a big difference for them low lows.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Buying a rig to handle outdoor gigs can be an exercise in futility. Small gigs (wedding in a tent) are not much of a problem, but sitting on a flatbed playing to few hundred bikers in an open field or even a gazebo in a park are tough without PA support.

Rather than buying some huge bass rig, put the money into PA if your band carries it's own...that's my advice. Over the course of a year, I'd bet less than 5% of my gigs are outdoors and most that are have PA support.
  15. yea true. my band is planning on getting two more yamaya 1x15 pa speakers to go with the two other ones which will lower the ohms and will make it louder than i can put my stuff through the pa! see when we do play loud outdoor gigs i cant go through the pa beacuse my band wont let me beacuse it sucks the livving hell out of the pa's power so it takes away from the singer and everybody has to hear the singer so i just go through my rig, but by adding more power and speakers i will be able to be put into the pa! our band has saved up about 600 bucks in about 1 month from playing at a baseball game so we could probably by the speakers now.