1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How big is Warmoth's control Cavity?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bonga_rascal, Aug 11, 2012.

1. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Sep 9, 2010
    Hey. So I'm thinking of getting a Warmoth rear routed body and putting some really nice pups and a pre in it. Just wanted to know how big is the control cavity? I know it will fir most preamps, but I'm specifically looking towards installing a Mike Pope Flexcore in it. It's a kickass pre!

Also, would it do any harm if I drill the control and pot holes after the body if finished. I'm going in with a chambered Walnut body with a maple top.

Thanks!

2. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Sep 9, 2010
    Bump. Anyone ?

3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    If the Warmoth site doesn't have the exact cavity dimensions listed, a call to their sales folks on Monday will get you that info. They will generally drill, not drill, pot holes - whatever you ask, as long as you are clear about it.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I don't know about size but I think most pre manufacturers take available space into account when designing an onboard pre, making them as small as possible. If there isn't enough room, it's fairly easy to clear some room in the cavity wall with a Dremel to make a hollow that the pre can partially sit in. To drill a finished body, put tape over the finish, drill a pilot with an 1/8" bit from inside the cavity, flip it over and drill your finished hole size from the top; go slow so you don't chip the finish, the tape helps with that.

5. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Sep 9, 2010
    Cool. Thanks!

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I imagine it varies with each model, but this should give you some idea

control-cavity-003.

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

^ in a word, huge.

8. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Sep 9, 2010
    Wow, that's pretty big. Thanks for posting the pic!