how can i make good bass lines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by emerica, Dec 27, 2007.

1. emerica

emerica

Dec 26, 2007
    ya i know the say you need to have a background to be able to make music. But I am wondering how i can make bass lines. or some techniques you guys use to make bass lines. I am really more interested in the ways you guys make your bass lines.

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    This is such a HUGE question. I don't even know where to begin...

Questions for you:
    1. What is the style/feel?
    2. What is the tempo?
    3a. What section of the song are you talking about? (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, ending)
    3b. What else is going on in the music?

You'll hear this a million times. You have to serve the song. What works for one song might not work for another song.

My advice is to listen to lines that are similar to the music you want to play. Transcribe some of those lines. I feel that it's important to know which chords you're playing. That way you know how the bassist is connecting those chords.

Best of luck,
    Joe

3. ibanezshredder

ibanezshredder

Dec 19, 2007
    u just gotta feel it, thats it.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021