1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How can I record bass sound samples on my PC?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 31, 2004.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a Behringer Bass V-amp which is connected to my PC via MIDI cables. How can I record sample of my playing through the V-amp to my computer? If I need software I'd like freeware if possible.

2. shizack

shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    I may be behind the times, but I don't think you can record samples of your bass into your pc thru the MIDI cables.
    You'll need a cord/adapter from one of the preamp's "line" or "full range" outs into the "line in" jack of your pc's sound card. You can get 1/4" to 1/8" adapters for cheap at Best Buy or Radio Shack. Set your soundcard mixer to record from the "line in" source. If you use windows, search for a file called "sndrec.exe" or "sndrec32.exe". Hit the red button and start playing. You should only really need recording software if you plan to overdub or multi-track. If you need to trim or edit the resulting file just Google or Yahoo for "freeware sound edit" and you should find something.