1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How common are Ibanez ATK 700 series basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KlingyFungus, Mar 22, 2010.

1. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus Guest

Mar 20, 2010
    Looking through the Ibanez catalogs online, I see a ton of the 300 series but very little on the 700 series. Any ideas why that is so?

Are the 300's that much more popular? Or are the 700's that rare?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The 700 has been discontinued for a few years. It's got a nicer body w/flamed top and the same electronics. They were available in natural and blue.

There were a couple of 700 series basses, koa and flame maple, but they have been discontinued as well.

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I've got a blue one with a very subtle quilt top.
    It's a great bass.

4. I see the 700 in Moon Blue for sale all the time here, Craigslist, eBay, etc.

I've been very tempted to pick one up based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews.

5. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus Guest

Mar 20, 2010
    Bobster,

That's what I thought; discontinued. It's a shame. I like the look of them better than the 300's. Plus, in my opinion, I think that the 5-piece maple/walnut neck would be stronger/more stable.

electracoyote & kesslari,

I bought my first ATK 700 on 3/17/2010, new-off-the-rack, from an independent music store in Colorado. (Pic on left) It's a bit darker blue than I normally see on these. Kind of obscures the maple top, but I like it all the same. The balance, feel, playability, and tone are (to me) outstanding.

I was so impressed with it, in fact, that I just had to get another one. So, on 3/20/2010 I bought one from forum member pathdoc2. (Pic on right) This one looks to be a lighter blue, like I see most often. I don't have it yet, FedEx should be dropping it off tomorrow. Based on other players reviews, as well as the experience with my first one, I'm confident this will be a fine instrument also.

Attached Files:

kkaarrll likes this.
  6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That's a beautiful quilt. I sometimes wish mine was a richer quilt like that, but OTOH, for what I paid for it, it's still a beautiful bass and it totally gets the job done.

Enjoy that lovely instrument!

7. I have an ATK 700 and it is hands down the best bass i have ever played. I got it awhile back for a decent price around 300$.

8. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Necropost necropost!

Now that that's over with you should join the ATK club and post pics of it there. Search for the most recent version I think it's Part 3. I'm in it I should know but, I got alot going on right now. Also the ATK 300 series have stable necks alot of Metal/Hardcore bands use them and believe me as a player I fret like a Gorrilla!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020