Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Deep Is The Ocean -- orig recording

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Freddels, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'm looking for the original recording of "How Deep Is The Ocean".

Does anyone know who originally did this tune?

I would like to get the correct changes to it.

2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Check this out:
    http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions-0/howdeepistheocean.htm

FWIW, I'd rely on the Bill Evans Trio version to learn the tune over the "original" Paul Whiteman or Rudy Vallee or Guy Lombardo version...it's closer to the "correct" changes you'll find people playing on the stand. But that may not be what you're going for.

3. I use a combination of Bill Evans and Jim Hall changes on my CD. Speak Low. The Paul Warburton Quartet. www.synergymusic.com.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    But grabbing the Irving Berlin sheet is gonna be a good place to start, figure out why Jim does what he does there and why Bill does what he does there and what other direction you might want to go. Learning the composer's version is like starting with a blank canvas, you learn somebody else's changes you already got paint on there.

Sure, you go out on a gig, nobody's playing the Berlin changes. But of you have LEARNED the tune, know what the melody and original harmony are , I say you stand a better chance of hearing what other thing somebody is doing.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Exactly. I want to learn it without the extra paint on it.

Thanks.

6. I have no problem with that. Of course it's a good idea, and, while you're at it, be sure to learn the lyrics so you know the original story and the answer to the question......How deep IS the Ocean? Or, the original, original question...How Much Do I Love You????

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'll tell you no lie,
    How deep is the ocean?
    How high is the sky?

How many times in the day
    Do I think of you?
    How many roses
    are covered with dew?

How far would I travel
    to be where you are?
    How far is the journey
    from here to a star?

And if I ever lost you
    how much would I cry?
    How deep is the ocean?
    How high is the sky?

8. I really mean it, ohhhh yeah!!!!!
    Let's not start that **** again Ed. I am impressed though.
    Take note, young-uns!

By the way, it's: How many times a day do I think of you. Not: How many times in a day.....sorry.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Mea maxima culpa, but I am a victim of TSB*...

*Typical Singer Bull****