How do I convert a BSX 5 String EUB Low B to a High C?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bobsax, Apr 8, 2016.

1. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Should I just move the existing strings and get a C for the top? This is a slab bass so I don't think string sound is as big an issue but I'm an DB guy and it seems BG guys are fussy about strings so maybe it does matter and I should get a new set?
    thanks
    btw this is the bass

2. You can, but finding a high C that fits in well tension and soundwise is not easy. Often the high C strings have either more or a lot less tension.
    Also steel core high Cs are rather thin and might be hard to press down to the fingerboard if they cut into the finger.
    You might want to use synthetic core strings for the EUB, I was told downtuned Evah Solos with a regular Evah high C matches well, but I haven't had that in my hands or on my measuring bench.
    Obligatos might work too (all regular, no Solos), but they might be a bit thick for your nut and bridge grooves. The Evahs might fit in better.
    It might not be easy to find a high C string that fits into your expectations ...

3. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks Double Midi
    Good info.
    I'll call Dino at BSX and see what he says.

4. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Dino says my strings are D'addario helicore hybrid .
    They don't make one but Lemur tells me the spirocore high C works

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  5. You might ask D'Addario, they plan to make high Cs for their string sets, some might be ready but not officially announced. Otherwise a Spirocore 4/4 Mittel high C might do the job. It's just a bit thin like all steel core high Cs. But might work with less tension on the shorter scale.

6. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    The Pirastro flat chromesteel high C is another option. It's a bit thicker and stiffer than the spirocore. It should be 1mm thick vs the spiro @ 0.8mm

Do you have to consider magnetic pickups or only piezo?

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Wouldn't you have to recut the nut and bridge slots to accomodate the new strings?

Well thats if you want to do it properly.

8. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think so? It's a 5 String Bass .The bridge has 5 built in pickups (I think?) There might be some EQ issues but I'll have to wait till I get it back from the shop to find out.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The slots will be all cut wider than needed after you move the strings...might get some buzzing or strings popping off the bridge when playing hard, but you can worry about that if it happens.

10. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks Brian
    Good to know about the string slots. I hope to pick it up tomorrow and I can ask the luthier about it.:)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021