Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i export MP3's from Audacity???

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by spidersbass, Jan 10, 2005.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    it seems that i can't actually save a song into an MP3 file or WAV. i want to be able to put what record onto a cd. how do i do that?

thanks

2. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    What format is the file in?
    In order to burn to a CD and listen to it on your basic player you need to convert wo a .WAV file at 44.1 KHz Stereo. If it's a common format you could use something like NERO to convert it to a .WAV.

3. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Another thing. I just did a search on Audacity. If you want a MP3 from Audacity you need the Lame Encoder.
    See this:
    http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.pl?LameInstallation
    This will at least get you an MP3 to start with.
    Window's media Player should get you the rest of the way.

4. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    thanks, that did help.

i just recorded a song with my bass, guitar, and drums. is there a way to increase the volume of the finished song without making it all distorted? i notice that after i've recorded a complete song, its a lot softer volume-wize compared to my music on my computer. but then again i am using a cheap computer microphone to record.

5. select all > open the compressor effect > crank the ratio up to 10, and check "apply gain after compressing". If it doesn't sound good to you, undo it and play around with the settings (ratio, threshold, and attack) until you get something that you like.

(note that this isn't the best method, but it should work okay until you get into the details of what's called mastering, which is a very deep subject)

6. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    thanks, other than some white noise in the background, everything is okay.