How do I get that tone on Sweet Emotion?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gjbassist, Feb 17, 2010.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I read one time that that lick was actually recorded with the G string tuned up to an A, with Hamilton playing entire lick on that one string. It's a hell of a lot easier to play that way and especially if you're using a pick cause you don't have to jump strings.

The increased string tension could contribute marginally to the sound though I am in agreement with the majority here that it's pretty much just a vintage picked P sound.

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    If you watch the YouTube clip it pretty much confirms no pick and it's not really brain surgery to play it in standard tuning as he does. I never knew if it was a pick or not (I've done it both ways) until the YouTube clip, but as far as the fingering goes he's doing it exactly as I do it.

3. There's a bass marimba played by Jay Messina in sync with that bass line and left low in the mix that creates part of the effect.

4. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    You're all wrong...it's done with mirrors.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    What really throws folks here is that the album says (as I recall) that they there is "Bass Marimba" on that song -- so it's literally impossible to play a bass, by itself, and sound like the studio recording.

For my part, I've played it pretty much like folks have suggested: Pinky mute (I always have roundwounds), played near the neck, no effects. It sounds close... I guess... but you really need a bass marimba to get that percussive effect. So it goes. Damn Aerosmith - far too creative for our own good!

6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Sweet Pandora, it's time to draw the line on this one.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

When learning this song for the band I am in, I watched several Aerosmith You-Tube videos and saw a few different methods that Hamilton used.

There are some that have fingerstyle, and others had a combination of pick and fingerstyle similar to a bluegrass guitar player.

I just worked to get the notes right (standard tuning) and then went to work then on a more percussive fingerstyle attack to get it close.

8. pbass flats and pick..

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021