How do I get this bass sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spur, Jun 11, 2005.

1. spur

Jun 4, 2005
    Can anyone who's heard the Robert Tepper song "No Easy Way Out", tell me what kind of bass and equipment is used. I know that it's session player Tim Landers that's playing, but I haven't been able to get any information on his equipment.
    The bass is most prominent in the intro and I just have to know how to get that sound, it just blows me away.
    Anyone with a good ear that can spot the equipment or how to get that particular sound?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. timlanders

Dec 27, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla, LaBella, Trickfish, Line6
    I'm only about 8 and 1/2 years late in seeing this question but I'll answer anyway! That session was recorded at Sound Castle in Silverlake by Joe Chiccarelli through a Neve 8128 console and slammed through an 1176, The bass is an early 70's Precision with maple neck with an added Jazz bass pickup by the bridge - I believe I'd retrofitted some Bartolinis in there by then - and I played very loudly through an SVT with the 8x10 cab. There was an RE20 on the cab. The P bass was strung with medium scale Labella rounds and I played with a pick! How I remember all this I have no idea.
  4. Tagruvto

Nov 2, 2011
    Very cool to get the answer right from the source!

Tim - did the RE20 feed into the 1176 or did you split the signal and DI to the 1176?