Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I make my drummer slow down!?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Yossarian, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I write a song with a tempo in mind, and the drummer speeds it up. He speeds it up alot. He thinks fast = good and that's all there is to it. Problem is, he speeds it up to the point where I actually can't play it the way I wrote it. I've plainly told him "sweet mother of holy crap, that was ridiculously fast, I SIMPLY CANNOT PLAY IT THAT FAST" and he's like "okay ill slow it down next time" and he thinks he's slowed it down but it's JUST AS FAST. Any advice? :help:

2. First of all , stick this thread in Misc or Band Management, then beat him with a stick.

3. "FOR THE LAST !@#$%^& TIME, SLOW THE !@#$ DOWN OR ILL TAKE THOSE STUPID DRUMSTICKS AND SHOVE THEM UPP YOU !@#$!!!!!!!!!!!"

then turn green and get all muscely and have all your clothes be ripped off except your purple pants.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    haha, I just noticed I should put it there, how do I move it?

5. You don't have to do anything. Just let the mods take care of it. Then Odie will give you a lecture.

6. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    *cries* I'm sorry Odie! I've learned my lesson already!

7. Make him play with a metronome till he gets it right.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

OT is for non music topics. Off to band management.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Is their a problem??? If their is please PM me I would love to hear your opinion a bit more.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I would do the metronome thing... It's not that he CANT play it slower... it's more like he refuses to do it. He thinks if it's slow it's bad. I don't know this is sounding to me like he's just gonna be frustrating regardless of what I do.

Not that it would be slow if he slowed it down. It would still be quite fast. Oi. that's all I can say.

11. Get a new drummer...this guy can't obviously see the light.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That was the first thing I thought.

13. Was what I thought first also, but figured why not give more options because finding a drummer can be a pain.

14. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    DEFINITELY a pain, haha. I'm in high school... I live in a college town but I really don't know how many college-folk are going to want to drum for a bunch of random high school kids. As for the high school crowd... There really just aren't any competent drummers. And by competent, I mean any who can even put a song together. There's only one I know of, and he refuses to play anything but really heavy devil-voice roaring type metal. Which... just... no.

15. Fill-In

Fill-In

Jul 24, 2004
    I think I have a solution--not just because I have played drums in the past, but because I have played with many different drummers since. If the metronome doesn't work, tell him exactly WHAT to play, both rhythm and tempo.

And if that doesn't work... have you ever played two instruments at once???

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    show him how you "want" it... but make it super slow..

then when he speeds it up it will be around where you do want it...

that'll be $3.50 please... :D

17. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    haha I've actually tried that. :p I think maybe it's because I'm the only one really saying anything. If the rest of the band is like "stop doing that." he might actually listen. We'll find out?

18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Whether or not you were joking, was this really necessary?

If you have a problem with something a mod has done, I suggest you PM them to discuss it, as mentioned. Don't post it here please.

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

Who is jumping on him??? The comment was made towards thinking of you.

I never said anything. He apologized because of what thinking of you said.