How do I raise the action?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Jan 19, 2004.

1. I recently picked up my bass again after not playing it for about three weeks. (I was on vacation). I noticed that the strings were noticeably closer to the fingerboard. Unless I play incredibly lightly, I get a horrible buzzing in first position, (which is probobly where I play half the time). What whould I do about this? It seems like a fairly normal thing to happen, but I just don't know how to fix the problem without doing something drastic. I'm used to dealing with my electric basses. Clearly the upright doesn't have a truss rod, and unfortunately my bridge is non adjustable.
  2. Probably the cheapest solution is to get a luthier to install adjusters in your present bridge (assuming it is still straight).
  3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Also, it's possible your bridge is tilting away from vertical, changing the height of the strings.
  4. Hello Bob,
    Interesting you said "assuming it is still straight". On my current Bass "Old German", if I squat down and look at my Bridge from the front I can see a warp. The E and A string being a bit higher than the D and G. The feet are straight and parallel. Is this a Bad thing? The Bass plays fine and my Teacher/Luthier dont seem to concerned. Just said "we may address it in the future". Could this be robbing me of tone and volume? Thank you for your time.

5. The A and E strings are supposed to be higher because of the larger period of vibration of the larger strings. When I said straight, I meant the back to bridge. Take a ruler and place it on the back side of the bridge from the feet to the top. That is what should be straight.
  6. Thank you Bob,
    I`m good then;) man I love the site..

7. Thanks for the replys. I just talked to two bass teachers in my school, and they both said that I should get adjusters put in. They actually both directed me to the same person. The tough part will just be getting there. (I don't have a car).

By the way, I've only had my bass for a few months. It's new, and was set up really well, so the bridge is still straight. I'm assuming the action just moved because of the weather.