How do I remove the nut?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PolkaHero, May 12, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Okay, comedy aside, the G-string(!) slot of my 62 Reissue P-bass just broke off while changing the strings. Is there an easy way to remove the nut so I can replace it myself? I don't feel like taking this bass into the repair shop if I don't have to. Got recording dates coming up in the next few days. Thanks to any quick help out there!
  2. You need a really sharp pencil.

Sharpen the pencil to make sure its really really sharp.

The trick is to spear the nut with the pencil. You don't want to stick the pencil all the way through the nut, just far enough to get a good grip, then pry it out sideways.

Are you absolutely sure you want to do this? I think its really gonna hurt. Make sure you slip your underwear out of the way first, before spearing the nut with a pencil. I'd think it could bleed a little too. I'd recommend just removing one nut first, see if you like it before you remove the other one.

Randy :eek:
  3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Don't forget the black Nikes and booze with Nebutol....just lay down and wait for the U.F.O.s to come and pick you up.
  4. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    DIY vasectomy ? Not recommended - visit the doc !! :bassist:
  5. gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Good grief, after reading those replies I had to double check my link, I thought I'd ended up in a drummer's forum!!!
  6. Not a drummers forum, yet still the wrong one I believe. Setup forum perhaps, surely you'll get actual help there.
  7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i had a guy replace the nut on my music man.

all he did was take a very small awl and placed in dead center on the e side of the neck(along the profile) and just took a few tiny whacks at it, and it popped right off.
  8. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa

It should pop right out with a punch or awl and a small hammer applied to the e-string side (like you're trying to slide it out of the nut slot). You shouldn't have to use too much force but try to direct it along the nut and a little upwards, even it if is glued in, it should pop out. That's a very standard size, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a replacement. I would recommend a tusq (fake bone) but that's just my recommendation. Keep the old nut around b/c you may need to shave the new one down a little to give it the same height.

PM me if you need more help, I've done a FEW nut replacements. It's pretty easy if you take your time. :p
  9. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Be ever so slight... this old nut in my harmony decided to ... crack on its way out... if you want to keep it that is ... The flat head screwdriver and hammer combo I attacked it with probley didnt help :scowl:
  10. I NEVER do any nut removal by having my tools touch the neck in any way. It's possible in most cases. I use a simple pair of slip joint pliers and grasp the nut across it's width and pull straight up. In most cases it comes up whole. If it doesn't and second grab gets the rest. Oh, and I never do this before I tape off both sides of the nut to protect the finish
  11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Are most nuts held on with Crazy Glue? If so, go to a hobby store and get Zap debonder. It dissolves that type of glue (Cyanoacrylate?)
  12. RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think most nuts are not glued in. I would also say, keep chemicals away from the finish.
  13. Well, they shouldn't be! It's sort of the unwritten rule to put a Fender style nut in with a couple of drops of carpenters glue. It will stick enough to keep it in place but not enough to make it completely unremovable. I HAVE use a couple VERY small drops of CA on a butted(capped?) style nut that had more surface area. Those two drops were just enough to keep it against the end grain of the fretboard.
  14. RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Isn't it kind of hopeless using super-glue on wood anyway?
  15. How? I use it all the time for various processes where I need a small, concentrated hold that doesn't spread out or a glue to use between disparate types of materials like plastic and metal or metal and wood.
  16. RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know, that's why I'm asking. My experience with superglue is that it's really good for some projects and not others. I just imagined, that the chemicals in a de-bonder for it might be bad for typical finishes.
  17. Warwickman0810

Mar 29, 2005
    London, UK
    Nuts stuck to basses with super glue...ahh, i knew a chap who used to change them fairly often due to errm a particularly violent style of playing (bashing the bass to death basically) adn that guy used a blow torch to melt the superglue while the nut was still stuck to the bass!!!!!