Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I use these tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by nairanvac, Aug 7, 2005.

1. nairanvac

nairanvac

Aug 7, 2005
    I'm new to usings tabs, and I was wondering how to go about using them. I've been playing bass for about 3 years, but I've played using the standard music staff. I would like to start learning tabs, so could someone explain how they work?

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    you're better off with notation. really. tabs are poison.

3. nairanvac

nairanvac

Aug 7, 2005
    Thanks! I wondered why ther ther was no way to tell howlong the notes were.

4. nairanvac

nairanvac

Aug 7, 2005
    I don't understand why tabs are so bad! They do their jobs! It is a lot harder to write the notation then to write the tabs.

5. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    they give no idea of time, accents, and are frequently very wrong.

6. I dont think tabs are all bad, they are helpful in many cases. I think the best thing to do is learn both.

7. They can do those things though.. If people who tab don't mind taking the time, you can put above the number(note) an E for eighth - Q for quarter and such to keep time. For accents there are ways of doing that with just letters but I don't really remember if there is a system for it, but whenever I want to write a quick tab I be sure write anything imporant at the top of the tab.

And though getting tab off of internet sites is usually wrong, it is great for beginners and maybe some more experienced players will tab things properly. Just my two cents.

8. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills

not unless your using powertabs or guitarpro.. :p

nairanvac... what most people do is play tabs and forget all about standar dnotation... im sue u wont but check those two things out...

those are editors for tabs and what they is give u the tab AND the standard notation of the song... if u stil cant understand how to read a tab, get those and itll all be clear for you...

well heres a screen shot i found on google...

[​IMG]