1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do rearview mirrors work?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by arbitrary, Apr 20, 2006.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    So I've looked at this device for ever, and I can't decide how the hell rear view mirrors work better in the dark when you hit that lever to flip the angle down.
    My fiance has asked me several times and I look at it and murmur something about angles and window tintint and just murmer and ramble off.
    We both know I have no clue what I'm talking about.
    But I still look at this contraption and ponder how it works at night when its pointed at the car floor.

HELP ME!!! :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Thanks Again TB

2. no head light glair from the car behind you because the angle of the mirror is changed by flipping the thing

3. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    It works like this: the mirror flips back at an angle, so it actually shows you a reflection of the ceiling of your car (which looks black, because it's dark out). But the glass in front of the mirror doesn't move. It stays at the same angle as the mirror's normal position. So everything you're seeing in the mirror is really just reflections off the glass. The glass transmits most of the light, and only reflects a small amount of it, so all those bright lights now look comfortably dim.

4. Objects in mirror are behind you.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    and are closer than they appear.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And are closer than they appear.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Jinx

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    whoa, that's creepy.

and i should know: i have The King as my avatar!

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was confused by the fact that it relflects the cieling and the stuff behind me, but i figured it out eventually.

10. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm still kinda hazy on it, but I'll try to understand it when its not 230 am

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Basically you're just switching between two reflective surfaces. One is glass that reflects dimly (the "night" setting) and the other is a mirror which reflects brightly (the "day" setting).

12. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    it all comes down to the simple laws of Physics, you got a concave mirror that broadens your view because the incoming light reflects at broader angles, there fore when u tilt you are adding another angle to it giving you a better view

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Huh? :confused:

We're talking about a simple day/night mirror. No physics involved here, just two flat reflective surfaces set at an angle from each other and a switch that allows you to select which surface you're using.

14. It's the small magical gnomes. They're the ones who make it work.

Rock on
    Eric