1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you act infront of photographers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    When your on stage and there's a photographer in your face, jumping all around you and stuff, do you play up to the camera or do you act like the photographer isn't there. I'm asking because we've had quite a lot of photographers comin to our shows and I want the pictures to turn out well but don't know how's best to act?

Any advice greatly recieved!

2. I pretend like they're not there. I'm more concerned with the audience getting their money's worth to see us.

3. +1

Check your zipper, but apart from that if you're trying too hard you'll end up looking like a bellend.

If the photographers any good they'll get the shot they're after.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I try NOT to act but it can be difficult.
    Just knowing there's a camera around will change your behavior.

5. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    I've been trying to act like they're not there which is normally ok, its when I'm singing and the camera's right in your face that it gets tricky!

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm camera-shy and will demonstratively turn my back whenever I notice someone aiming one of those things at me on a gig. They get the idea pretty quick and leave me alone.

7. I'll usually play like there's no one there, but now and again I'll get right up in their lens for a shot ;) :D :smug:

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I act like Sean Penn.

9. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Usually I ignore them and do exactly what I would do anyway.

Although, some of the best photos turn out when you break that barrier... for example:

[​IMG]

(My apologies to the mods in advance if this post is not kosher)

10. hahahha put a black bar over the finger and i think it'll be okay:ninja:

11. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I ignore them, but make sure I look at least 28.2% cooler than I would otherwise...

12. ariane

ariane

May 17, 2005
    San Francisco Bay Area, Ca
    Endorsing Artist: Eden, Marleaux, Delano
    It's certainly a matter of personal style, and it's most important to be yourself. I love playing with the camera, i'll stick my shoe in there or smile right into it (it depends a bit on the style you play, too. I might not do that at a jazz gig, but I will at a Rock gig). it's not doing anything differently, I just have fun, and since I love what I do it's easy to smile. Communication with the audience is a big part of the show to me and a camera obviously communicates back in a way that can create a bit of back and forth. People love to watch that interplay as well.

I used to be camera-shy, stage shy, everything. i used to think I wont be taken seriously as a musician if I contribute to the 'show' part of things. At some point music just got so strong in me and swept me off my feet and none of these things mattered anymore. It was a big relief and helped me be more authentic on stage.

I study photos of myself a good deal also for another reason: I don't mind looking goofy, but if my students get to point out that my finger position (or whatever) is not like I teach it to them, then I need to look at this. In the heat of the moment hidden bad habits can show. I also truly view adequate showmanship as part of my job and the camera provides the best feedback there is.
    Great pix sent to us by fans has a great value (nothing like a good live shot), so I make sure I give the photographers due credit and ask permission to use etc.

Anyways, say cheese.... or not... but dont let anything take the fun away.
    Ariane

13. I generally ignore them except when they come into "the space". At that point, they're part of the show so I "ffff" with them as much as possible. I'm not mad or anything, I just figure if they encroach into the performance, they're fair game.

14. Leave a greasy fingerprint on their $3000 lens. I know it drives my girlfriend CRAZY:p

15. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    hahah, i'll remember that one :smug:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I ham it up when there's a camera on me. It's entertainment, after all.

17. Messiah25

Messiah25

Mar 10, 2007
    Israel
    I'm kinda Bono like with the cameras, i like playing with a cam.
    But it depends on the gig.

18. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i hate hate hate fotos. i usually stick out my tongue if i see someone taking a picture.

drives the band insane.

19. Depends on my mood and depends on how many cocktails I've had....;)

20. As a bass player who also photgraphs bands, what I like when I'm behind the camera, and what yields good results is when I'm noticed, if I get a few of the players looking at and/or hamming it up for the camera and then go back to what they are doing and ignore me.

Both will usually result in getting some good shots.

Attached Files: