Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do you convert a drummer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    how can I convert my very talented rock and roll / jam band drummer into a funk / hip hop beat machine?

i'm thinking about going to our studio in the middle of the night dressed in black, stealing half of his kit, and leaving a bunch of funk and hip hop cds on his stool.

good idea? :bag:

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    And while where at it, can someone tell me how to turn my gay friend into a hetrosexual :)

3. Lock him in a closet with a cd player and tell him hes gonna be in there for a whole day and offer him either Funk Cds or Barbara Striessand cds . That should do it, might work with the homosexual friend too, Striessand is pretty scary.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Get the drummer a James Brown "Greatest Hits/Best of" CD and say, "Learn it, Live it, Love it!"...

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Jazz, blues, latin, Beetles, funk,Motown etc. Get him to practice with stuff that has a lot of feel and emotion. Aynone can play 200 BPM double bass and crazy rolls and quads. Playing with touch, feel, emotion, finess, can be attained but you have to change the mindset from playing fast hard and heavy all the time. Funk has limitations just like rock does, he should as all of us be well rounded in our playing techniques.

6. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I tried this exact thing... I ended up replacing him...

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Which is what I was trying to say when I asked how to convert a gay person into a hetro. You can play him as much funk as you like but if he's a rock-pig through and through, well then that's what he is!

8. Im tellin you, the Striessand plan will work!!!!

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats not nice :-/

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    How is that not nice? Switch it aroiund if it helps. My point was you shouldn't waste time trying to turn someone into something they're not. Ultimately they are what they are, and we should accept it and move on.

11. Pete lives in Sydney, so he probably knows at least one gay person. :D

I dunno, how do you convert a drummer? :p

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I do. Heaps of them. I also know heaps of Europeans, Aboriginals, Brits, Arabs etc etc. I respect them all for what they are any you all should do the same!

13. Wasn't dissin' them either.

14. johnnysam

johnnysam Guest

Aug 16, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    You can't teach funk. He will have to feel it. If he is not into it, then you should probably just find a new drummer. :ninja: