1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get a sine wave-ish tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HoodTube, Oct 31, 2018.

1. HoodTube

HoodTube

Oct 13, 2018
    Just curious as to any suggestions on getting a deep, synthy sine bass sound. I'm particularly into this: (at around 1:20).

I just bought a TC Electronic Nether octaver, hoping it was a clone of the OC2 and could nail it, but it doesn't really come close, it's more of a saw-ish sound on the 1 oct down. So, any simple mods I could do to the pedal? Or other suggestions to get that type of sound? Preferably without having to buy an OC2!

Cheers.

2. Well your sine wave statement is a bit confusing to me. IIRC, synthesis comes from amplitude of the harmonics of a sine wave (fundamental)...but I think you are asking if you could mod the TC pedal to sound like an OC-2? If that's your question I think the answer is most likely no.

I've personally found good success with a good fuzz, my MUFX Octavider, and my Josh Wah. I can get very dubby, deep sub type of sound with that combination.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  3. HoodTube

HoodTube

Oct 13, 2018
    Hey, cheers for the suggestions! Yeah, the OC2 to me sounds like an overdriven sine wave bass, or filtered square, whichever you'd want to call it.

Playing through the TC a bit more, I think the problem with it may be that it doesn't seem to fully get rid of the dry signal even with the pot all the way down, so it's still got some upper harmonic stuff happening, making it "growl". A simple mod for that would be good, if anyone could suggest anything to try.

willsellout likes this.
  4. I wish you luck, those pedals are PCB's I believe, which kind of makes them difficult to modify. I had a Sub N up for a while and it had that fat dubby kind of synth octave tone, but it didn't sound like the OC-2 either. If no one can offer a mod for you, I'd look into the 3 Leaf Audio Octabvre mini. It sounded really good. I hear the COG T16 sounds remarkably similar to the OC2 as well. Or just grab a used OC-2, which might be the cheaper option, depending on where you are. In either case, good luck, I hope someone is more help than I was;)

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If there's too many highs, you could remove them from your signal before they hit the pedal. Try plucking exactly 12 frets higher than you're fretting. It's a technique Mike League calls anti-harmonics.

Blu bro likes this.
  6. Panda Audio Future Impact

This can get you closest to a Synth sound IMHO

7. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    The purest sine wave at my disposal has been the FMereon. Dial back the FM and set your attack wide open. Pure.

mobdirt likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OC-2.

Oh wait...

:D

willsellout and sillyfabe like this.
  9. GisserD

GisserD

Sep 9, 2015
    I'd LOVE to hear this. Any chance of an audio sample??

10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    I would like to see that on a scope. :D