How do you get this tone??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleafan7159, Mar 7, 2010.

1. i saw this vid and many others from this youtuber whos playin a modulus fb4

after you watch the vid, i was wondering if anybody new how he gets that amazing clean funky tone in these RHCP vids. The quality of those recordings tone-wise is amazing (his technique is as well). I looked through the comments and all i could find out was that he used a soundcard (m-audio) to record instead of an an amp, but he didnt specify which one he used. I find it hard to believe that that great tone all come from the bass even though fb4's are amazing. he dosent have anything posted about the rest of his gear some maybe its some effect pedal but i doubt it. If anyone knows please let me know

PS: I play a Sterling SB14 through a gk mb115 and i was also wondering if could replicate that sound with my setup. i tried recording with a tascam gt-r1 and it didn't sound anything like the youtube vids

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    stainless steel rounds, low action, pluck the strings really hard.

3. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    You have to really dig in with your fingers, find out what strings the guy is using, and maybe get your hands on a Modulus FB4.

4. sirmike75

sirmike75

Jul 16, 2009
    Arlington,Texas
    That sounds like classic modulus ..that tone u are wanting .comes from the graphite neck..it sounds like he may be using some plug ins like a compressor..etc ....its real easy if you want that tone .get a funk unlimited...good luck

5. its the sound of fretbuzz :D

6. SVT2PRO-PE#93

SVT2PRO-PE#93

Feb 11, 2010
    sounds to me like whatever plug-in hes using is a tube head plug-in. with a high gain setting.

7. Sounds like a lot of compression.

lowsound

8. yea it might just the modulus fb4 but im no were near to affording that... arggh i want that tone its so amazing!

9. sirmike75

sirmike75

Jul 16, 2009
    Arlington,Texas
    I agree ..the tone is amazing .thats why i play one ....

10. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Ask the dude who made the vid.....:bassist:

11. bryantandrew

bryantandrew

Dec 17, 2008
    +1

Bright nickels or stainless strings, with the action adjusted as low as possible (without introducing dead frets), and an aggressive dig. Lighter gauge strings might be a factor too.

12. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    scooped mids and low action. Really hit those strings.

13. + pluck over the pickup near the bridge.

14. ok well im just using the normal super slinkys that come standard with MM and sterling basses, do i need to get a diff set of strings?

@ grooooove-- i already pluck near the bridge.
    @ ProfGumby -- yea i asked the guy and i got no response, these vids are liek over 2 yrs old so ya...
    @ sirmike75-- yea i want one i checked craiglist in my area for used ones and had no luck. i have abut a grand saved up but i doubt il find one at the price range

15. bryantandrew

bryantandrew

Dec 17, 2008
    It helps to have brighter strings, whether that means getting a fresh set, or actually switching to something different. EB Slinkys would be a suitable choice for that tone, but it depends on how old your existing strings are. Try adjusting the action on your bass first, see if you can get close to that tone, then consider changing strings if it sounds too dead.

16. ok il try adjusting my action, and ive only had this bass since November and it was new when i got it.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021