how do you go about buying a fretless???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by safeshow, Sep 12, 2010.

1. safeshow

safeshow

Aug 31, 2010
    I am in the market for a fretless,,I want to stick to a fender(jazz or percisssion) but that is as much as I have it narrowed down,,,

there are several types that fall into this category, mex,standard,American an so on,,,,,

How do you go about deciding on which one you like when most stores only carry like maybe 1 fretless,,,,,I live outside of philadelphia

2. Check your local Craigslist and try some. If Philly is anything like Boston, there should be lots o' Fretless out there for short money.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    First, you get yourself some money, then ...

4. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Check TB classifieds. If it is your 1st fretless, suggest getting a lined board. I once had a fretless Fender Jazz (MIJ) from Sam Ash (NY) and it was OK. No lines on fb, so had to really work on intonation.

Good luck

5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    ...post a thread on TB, get a bunch of advice, see pictures of pretty basses, buy something that someone else recommends, then...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021