How do you know if you can sing or not?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I like to sing when I play my bass. This is something I've always done for my own enjoyment. I've never really thought I was a very good singer but I sing trashy rock songs and have a good time. My proudest musical moment was probably when I did a heart felt rendition of Bassically/NIB in the kitchen the other night not realizing that my 11 year old step son was sitting just around the corner. When I finished he started clapping and came out to tell me that it sounded "awesome" and "rocked". I was proud. My greatest rock and roll fantasy began creeping from the back of my mind up to the front. "I really should front a 3 piece" I thought. I've been having trouble shaking that thought.

The songs that I can actually play and sing leads to at the same time are pretty limited. Right now I have about 10 songs that I can do and about 5 more that I am working on and almost have down. I am planning on getting these 15 tunes solid and then going into my buddies home studio and recording bass and lead vocal tracks. I will then listen to them, be honest with myself and see how much of a fantasy leading a 3 piece really is for me. I've started a list of what I know a person needs to start a band. Help me complete the list of things that should be in place before a potential band leader posts adds for drummer & guitarist wanted. So far I have:

Practice space. Where you gonna audition people at and where are you gonna practice? Better have it figured out before recruiting band members.

Material. Have a set list of tunes that will be played and be ready to play and sing them. *How many songs should one have to start with?*

A gig-worthy bass rig.

A small P.A. system for rehearsal.

Thick skin and gigantic stones.

Did I miss anything? How many songs does front man to be need to have on his set list before bring other players in?
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Get vocal lessons. Get some other guys to play with that can also sing. You can share songs, all have a different vocal range to make your song selection more diverse. Vocal lessons will make you better, more confident, and allow you to have multiple singers doing harmonys. Also if you start this project being new to singing you may need others to help out now, but down the road you may be able to front the band by yoself which sounds like your dream anyway.
  3. My voice teacher, who is also the keyboard player in my band, told me "anybody can sing" - it's just a matter of practice and more practice. Getting the voice lessons has helped me TREMENDOUSLY in singing. I now sing backups on most of the songs in our band.

Singing and playing at the same time can be tough - you pretty much have to have the bass part so down-pat that you can play it without even thinking about it - then you can concentrate on your singing. It's an amazing feeling to be singng one line and playing a completely different line on the bass, and hearing them both at the same time in the monitor - it's almost like someone else is playing the bass, but you KNOW it's you!!!

Good luck.
  4. Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Before you get reallyinto the 3 piece thing start out with a band that can handle you as a backup singer. That way you can sing with others while having to sing an exact part. Then move on to singing a few leads in the same band. I bet when you're ready to make the 3 piece move you'll know the right people to take with you.

5. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound

Any of the new members you ask to join can add any of these features as well. As a management point you will want to talk with the other members about where and how often you will play out and practice.
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I throw in 2 of my measly little cents.

Let's compare singing to weight-lifting.

If a weight-lifter does weight training with improper technique, an injury is more likely. Also, just because that weight-lifter can bench press 250 lbs once, doesn't mean he'll be able to do it 10 times.

Just like that weight-lifter, a singer needs good vocal technique and vocal conditioning. These two things feed into each other. A singer with poor technique could lose their voice temporarily or develop vocal nodules. A singer with poor conditioning might be able to carry a tune or two, but may find themselves struggling to keep in tune remain intelligible after 10 songs.

If you are going to front a band and gig the typical all-niter at a club, your voice needs to be in shape.The more songs you sing, the better shape your voice needs to be. Proper technique needs to be used so that you don't lose your voice 3 songs into a set. Singing too much from the throat, without any push from your lungs is an example of poor technique that affects endurance. There's a lot to vocal technique, that I can't possibly cover in a post. Just be aware of it, and seek out ways to improve it.
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    exactly.. it's a technique just like bass playing, or swinging a golf club, or flippin and pitching ;) it has to be learned and the best way is instruction not trial and error I think in this case of learning vocals, one could do a lot of damage to your voice.