Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you make something an MP3??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    HI wanna put a slap solo on Purevolume.com but I dont know how to turn my file into an mp3 anyone know??

2. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Find a program that will compress a .wav --> .mp3
    Search on downloads.com for mp3 compressor

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If you have it in a .wav file already, here's one that I use:

http://www.cooolsoft.com/powerconvertor.htm

You can do what you've described with the free trial version; if you use it consistently, purchase the full version.

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Moved to Recording Gear

6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Try a search for "dBpower AMP"

It will convert almost any sound format (and multiple files at once) to any other. I use it when downloading Primus files (legit ones from the live site) in FLAC format and convert to wave. It's pretty fast, easy, and best of all: FREE!!!

You see, the "free" part is best of all because I'm cheap...that's because I'm desperately trying to save up the money for another bass...so now I'm a cheap b-tard.

7. CDex hasn't failed me yet. Free to your pockets.

8. I LOVE dBpower AMP BUT in their latest version the MP3 encoder is on TRIAL only - you need to pay money to get unlimited use. TO BE CLEAR = this means that you can only rip to MP3 using the LAME encoder for 30 days. You can rip to other formats using other codecs, but the LAME one is time limited. If you can find version10 on the internet somewhere then this one has the free LAME encoder. I'm not upgrading anytime soon. :bag:

9. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Yup, I've got the earlier version as well. I'm glad you mentioned this, as I was thinking about upgrading just to keep fresh...not gonna happen.