1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you record your bass?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by diverse379, Feb 7, 2019.

1. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.

matante likes this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Well, regardless of what I may or may not think about Firewire, it's a legacy standard that's being phased out. So unless you're heavily vested in hardware with Firewire interfaces, now is probably a good time to start migrating to either Thunderbolt or the the newer USB standards,

If you're interested you can read the whole sad history of the Firewire standard here.

Interestingly enough, the main thing that got me interested in Mixbus was the fact they had versions running natively on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Such is the advantage of basing your product on well-supported Open Source software that is under very active development. That was something that was important to me (being an IT guy for a living) since it essentially makes Mixbus obsolescence proof as far as platform is concerned. And the license you purchase can be used on any of the three platforms.

But beyond that, once I started using it I began to appreciate the sound quality and the workflow. It's based on Harrision's hardware consoles and it feels very similar in use to using an actual console. I don't know if that makes it "better" so to speak. But I'm from the analog era and I have some experience using things like a Neve console so it feels like home to me. Someone who came up in the PC/digital recording era might be more comfortable with some of the newer interfaces and products that pack other functionalities like loop creation etc. under the hood. Mixbus is pretty flexible. But it has a pretty aggressive recording console paradigm it does't stray too far from. So if you approach recording more from a traditional "recording a live performance" perspective (like George Martin) rather than the newer solo loop and sample framework (like Moby or Björk) then Mixbus should feel very comfortable.

I guess you could say I like Mixbus half because it sounds great, and half because I'm too lazy to learn a totally different approach to recording. I don't record professionally so I don't need to keep up with the times. YMMV. :):thumbsup:

equill likes this.
  3. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Pretty much all of the above over the years. Plus I sometimes close mike the strings on the fretless if I'm not using a cab at the same time. Just depends on the sound I'm after.

However, it has always gone to one tape track. I have yet to do much DAW recording. With low track count (up to 8) I have to make a decision and record what I want at the time.

Otto

crlujan likes this.
  4. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    1. Bass - 1960 Ampeg B15 - Electrovoice RE20 - Focusrite ISA One - AD converter

2. Bass - Retrospect Juice box - AD converter.

3. Bass - Focusrite ISA One DI - AD converter.

5. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I have 3 requirements for recording bass.

1) tube preamp
    2) absolutely no noise
    3) simple pc interface

My long time setup was the post pre DI out from a Mesa Boogie M2000 tube amp into an E-mu 1212m pc sound card. I record at 24 bit 48khz. The Mesa amp has a built in compressor and I usually apply a small amount of limiting while recording and maybe a bit of tone shaping with the onboard EQ.

Recently I got myself an A-designs REDDI and use that instead of the amp. The unit is a tube pre that was designed to sound as much as possible like a vintage Ampeg B-15. At $775, it isn't cheap, but it sounds absolutely amazing all by itself.

I've occasionally used a Tech21 SansAmp BDDI with marginally acceptable results, but it sounds a bit harsh to my ears. I suppose it really is more suited for live use.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Ive used digital pedals before but have always been disappointed with the amount of noise they produce.

LBS-bass likes this.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    From the last recording session with my band. Forgive the cheesy "Paint" diagram but it effectively conveys the idea..

recording.

ccouch7 and Dimbass777 like this.
  8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This is exactly how I do it as well.

Bodeanly and LBS-bass like this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I run a direct out from my Mesa D800 into my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface, which I'm using with Logic Pro. Clean signal in, add effects later.

10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    That’s because it’s the right way. :thumbsup:

MonetBass likes this.
  11. Danny C

Danny C

Oct 31, 2018
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I try to get two channels. One goes through my line out, and the other is a miced cab. Engineer can blend to taste.

There's always discussion with the engineer about what he/she needs from my line out.

13. MrCrane

MrCrane

Mar 5, 2013
    Croydon, UK
    Bass-> HPF (MicroThumpinator) -> Transformer Out of Ampeg PF20T -> Focusrite 6i6 -> Reaper

Alternatively,
    Bass->HPF->Focusrite 6i6->Reaper and apply Amplitube Amp Sims in DAW

14. Fleur-de-Bass

Fleur-de-Bass

Jan 5, 2019
    *noodles for a few minutes * ooh better grab my pen and notepad! This could be something eventually :roflmao: thought I posted this yesterday but I'm just being a smart allec. Still, this is how I record stuff so I don't forget it atm

15. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thank you, sir! Very much appreciated.

16. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    These days just a DI to an audio interface and run an amp/cab sim.

17. Ultradust

Ultradust Commercial User

May 19, 2007
    Seoul, Republic of Korea
    General Manager, Moollon
    We certainly all have our applications and needs.

I personally want full control once the signal has gone to tape/digital, and for me it's usually the most transparent dry signal as possible before going to digital. I use just a SPL Channel One -> UA Apollo Duo(or MOTU Ultralite Mk.III) -> MOTU DP9

If there are problematic frequency issues with the dry signal, then I can dial things in, but already having great bass tones without assistance means I almost never need to. And for that matter I'm not trying to get my ultimate *punchy/fat* bass mixed tone before going into digital (my studio certainly isn't a live stage), I just want the ultimate dry, workable signal that can be manipulated in digital space that leaves no regrets due to what I may have already done to the signal... Pre/cab sims seem to make so much more sense when a full mix/arrangement can define the context for my bass timbre's needs.

I've depended on a single preamp/compressor for nearly 20 years now for all my mic/line needs, and although I'd likely have done better with other units for certain applications, the Channel One us so easy to use and is excellent for dry bass tones that may or may not need just a little compression and/or EQ assistance.

[​IMG]

18. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    Nice
    I’ve never used one
    But I like the fact that you have used it for so many years

You know exactly how to get your tone

Good stuff

19. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Bass > Ampeg scr-di > Tascam 388

20. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Direct from pedalboard into my Scarlett Focusrite then DAW.