Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does Aguilar's tone differ from Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 7, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I havent had enough time with Aguilar amplification to make a good comparison between the two so if any one has more expirence then i could you please share your expirence, thanks.

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Aguilar has a warmer and thicker tone of the two and at the same time more "hifi". I think the Aguilar tone also has more definition and seems a little less processed than the pro series. I've owned the SVTIII pro which is a good amp. I think the SVT all tube head is probably most similar. The SVT has more growl, and is easier to overdrive.

A good comparision is comparing a Fender (ampeg) to a Sadowsky (aguilar). The aggies are more refined of the two

3. MAJOR METAL

Wow , that is a big diffrence in quality. Thank you for your post.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What's more, the Aguilar sucks less.

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The difference is that the Aguilar has a great tone and the Ampeg has a good tone. I love Augilar stuff.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not to mention that dealing with the people at Aguilar for service (or even just questions) is second to none. You dial their number, VP Dave Boonshoft always makes himself available to chat and address your concerns. Ampeg can't approach that.

I called Aguilar with a tweeter tech question one day, and after chatting with one of the tech guys, Boonshoft bumped in on the line to make sure I was being taken care of OK, if there was anything else I needed. You simply can't beat those guys for concerns about their products and their customers.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    But thankfully, not as sucky as sucky as Eden. :)

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    [​IMG]

I really haven't played the Aguilar rig too much becasue I just got it but here it goes.

The Ampeg SVT-IIPRO/SVT-410HLN is warmer then the Aguilar DB359/GS410. It seems to me that the Aggie has a more pronounced mid punch/"woolyness" that the Ampeg didn't have. Both rigs sound amazing but different. The Ampeg rig sounds better in my living room but I have a feeling with the mid punch/"woolyness" of the aggie, it will cut through and sound better live. I haven't played the Aggie rig live yet.

I played the DB359 at the rehearsal studio Theorem goes to and I played it through an SVT 810 and it sounded AWESOME flat with a little boost on my treble/bass on my bass. The perfect amount of punch, grit (slight overdirve) and beef!!!!!

9. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    The Aguilar stuff is cleaner, punchier and warmer. Real thick!

10. MAJOR METAL

Does anyone know where you can check out some Aguilar combo's in the NY area?. Thanks

11. MAJOR METAL

Wow that is really something.

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Their customer service is awesome. I've had the same experience great company!!

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow,

what's better than watching football, on a HUGE screen no-less, with your bass rig right in front of you? :bassist:

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    watching pr0n on a huge screen with your bass rig right in front of you? when I'm watching football, I like to pay attention. ;)

what I noticed is, he has "Smallville" selected in a pic showing the little 4x10 half-stacks. :p

15. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    There are lots of combinations of tones you could get with different cabs/heads OF THE SAME MFR. So to make sweeping generalizations on tone is at best imprecise, at worst, way off base. Just as an example, you can't describe Ampeg without characterizing the different sounds produced by SS or tube, by the circuits, by the cabs (ported, nonported). My 73 SVT head through 8x10 cab sounds nothing like my SVT-II with graphic EQ switched on through 410HLF. And thats comparing Ampeg SVT all tube heads.

16. Contrapuntal

Contrapuntal

Mar 1, 2004
    Toronto
    Rudy's on 48th Street in NYC has some Aguilar gear right now (was by there at lunch today). I saw some at Manny's across the street last time I was in town...none there today though.

I switched from Ampeg 210+115 cabs to Aguilar GS112 cabs a few months ago...as others have said, they sound mellow and deep and little more hifi.

17. MAJOR METAL

Cool, i know how to get their.Thanks

18. MAJOR METAL

Is their noticible quality diffrences between the two?.

19. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    One of the reasons that Aguilar amps and preamps are so expensive is because there is a lot more hand soldering in the Aggie manufacturing process. Aguilar stuff is built in a small shop whereas Ampeg gear is more mass-produced.

As to tone, the preference is purely subjective. When it comes to that, the manufacturing process is unimportant. It's your ears that make the difference.

The previous comments about Aguilar customer service are spot-on. I own some Aguilar gear and if you call them with questions you may well be getting your answers from Dave himself.

20. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I've actually e-mailed the regular tech line at Aguilar and gotten e-mail responses from Dave. Very helpful and friendly, encouraged me to ask any and all questions I might have.

As to the tone, I suspect this will be of little use because it's very subjective and non-specific, but it may shed some light on something... who knows. Anyway, from the little experience with other people's Ampeg gear (both heads and cabs) it always sounds somewhat "rock and roll" to me. There's a certain aggressive rock nature to their gear, to my ear, some may disagree. With Aguilar, although the "Aggie tone" is always there, it's a more versatile tone and can be at home in a rock setting, but also jazz, R&B, etc... I'm very impressed with the Aguilar gear.