1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How does an Epifani UL212 sound compared to two UL112's ?.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Solofunkyjazz, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Solofunkyjazz

Solofunkyjazz

Sep 15, 2008
    Coventry UK
    I posted a thread a week or so ago about my Epifani UL212.

I had some really helpful advice from a lot of people.

I sold the UL212 in the end, and now need a new cab, I was thinking, I like the sound of 12's over the sound of 10's.

How would two UL112's sound compared to the UL212 that I just sold, would they be more articulate sounding, and less dark ?.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Two 1x12s with the same total cabinet volume and using the same drivers will sound identical to a 2x12. It will only sound different if the total cabinet volume or the drivers used are different.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Yes, that'd really be a step sideways, the only advantage being the ability to bring one cab if that's enough to do what you want to do. If the 212 didn't get you what you want, the same thing in a pair of 112's won't either.

4. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The cabinet volume is different in this case and so is the porting. I used 2 UL112's for over a year, and for some reason, the 212 seemed like it went deeper and put out more overall volume with the same amp settings. I'm not sure why. Personally, the advantages that I found for the UL112 stack had to do with rig options, portability and not sound quality.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm..

IME, i'll bite and say the ul212 is a touch deeper, but i'll hazard a theory that its probably due to the extra resonance of the ul212's biggie porting vs. the two smaller porting spaces in the ul112's, and also, the extra tweeter of the extra ul112, all of which might give the ul212's impression of greater feeling of depth. the most apparent thing i found was that the ul212 is just a touch more focused in a mix, while the ul112 pair seemed just a touch more diffuse.

but frankly, the difference in a live situation would really be splitting hairs. and yea, i chose my ul112 pair to sheer ease of carry and flexibility.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If the total port area and duct length is the same the result will be the same. I have no idea whether they are or not.
    OTOH two 1x12 stacked will sound very different than one 2x12 with the drivers horizontal. The two 1x12 will have much better midrange response and dispersion.