1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does burn speed affect CD quality

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by butchblack, Mar 12, 2008.

1. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Hi all

Strange question. Does burn speed affect CDR quality? The reason I'm asking is that I recently got a new car, a 2002 Mazda Protege5 with a CD player. I burned some CD's and the all seem to skip about mid way through. I went on a Mazda forum and found this was a common problem and the suggestions were to burn slower and maybe switch to Imation brand CDR's (I'm using Maxells). It logically makes sense to me that burning at a slower speed might cut down on errors. If there is someone more knowledgeable that can confirm or deny that I'd appreciate that. I burned a CD at 4X tonight and I'll try it driving to work tomorrow, Any other suggestions are welcome.

2. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Theoretically, a slower burn speed should introduce fewer errors than a faster speed. Lots of other factors to consider, though, such as the quality of the burner and the discs. The engineering specifics are WAY over my head.

I've never had a problem with Maxell CDR-Pro.

What are you burning with?
    What types of files?

3. Trouble reading burned CDs seems to be common on older CD players.

4. Ruoska

Ruoska

Nov 9, 2006
    Finland
    But I think this was even more due to old cd burners. I mean, with this old 2x burner I used years ago to burn demo cds for my first band we had all this trouble with the cds etc.

Now last time I did cd-r demos was in 2006, burned them at 32x (my drive was 42x but the songs only amounted to 12 minutes it was a matter of seconds anyway). Not a single disc was unplayable in any given player we tried and not a single person contacted me about an unplayable disc.

So what I'm saying is, I guess all those "Super Hyper Ultra RAM PCAV Extended Anti-Shock Buffer Prevention Protection" technologies you see on the cd-rw drives actually do something =) Unless you use really crap blanks, every player except maybe your daddy's old 1988 cd player will play cd-rs burned with modern drives, no matter if you burn them at 16x, 32x or 52x.

Just IME and so on, please feel free to prove me wrong everyone =)