Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does he get his tone???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Feb 15, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I am reffering to Duncan Coutts from Our Lady Peace...my band will be recording a demo this week and I want to get my tone as close to his as possible..I think it will match our music very well..any idea what his rig consists of? I know he plays Fender basses (Jazz I think) What does he use in the studio to record or when he plays live? Any help will be appreciated.

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    "Bass Player" magazine did an article on him within the last couple of years. One thing I remembered was that he used a Sadowsky NYC Jazz.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I did a search through their site..no info. thanks though

4. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Sadowsky NYC :p
    [​IMG]

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Ok..so I know he plays a sadowsky...gettin closer! :D Any idea what kind of amps and cabs he uses??

6. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Live it looks like those refrigerators - Anteq or something :confused:
    In studio he more likely than not goes direct, but this is just speculation. I believe with your Spector 5 and new strings you can go direct with very satisfying results, good luck!

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Just give it your best shot man. In the studio your tone will sound totally different in the mix.

The other day I was testing out a loaner Warwick before we started recording scratch tracks. I thought it had some really nice tonal character to it. I decided to try it out on the recordings and in the mix, it sounded like nothing, with all the "tonal" character wiped out. My old Ibanez ended up souding superior in the mix.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    And yes, Duncan Coutts is known for using Anteq cabinets.

9. i see ampeg 8x10 behind him, so i am also guessing he uses ampeg heads.

you might want to check out the ampeg website

10. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Never heard of Anteq cabinets...my bass is in the shop getting some adjustments..I cant wait to get it back and record! I will share the recording with you guys when they are ready.

Cheers

11. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    He did use a Sadowsky or two on the record, but I remember him freaking out over the P-bass that was used on the cult recordings. He used that on several tracks and said it was one the most incredible tones. I believe he (Bob Rock) miked up an ampeg 810 classic for Duncan on that session.

12. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Before they started recording with Rock he jsut went direct. He claims to have used his sadowsky 21 fret 5 string mostly. He also used the white pbass that was used on the cult's records, and a 5 string pj that newstead used in metallica when with rock. With rock they put two mikes on an 810. Live his rig is two ampeg 810s, an svtII, aguilar db680, and a line6 pod and some other stuff.

13. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    good stuff guys, thanks!