Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does Stu Hamm do that?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joroan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Can someone please explain to me exactly how to play Stu Hamm's "Country Music - A Night in Hell?" I'm fine with the double-tapping section. I don't understand how he plays the slapping bit. Somehow, it seems like he's got that country bassline going... "C G C G" on half notes, as well as the eighth-note "F#G G G F# G G G" thing on top of it. Is he double-slapping/popping the F#-G stuff on the D string, while tapping the half-note CGCG thing down on the A/E strings? That's the only way I can figure out how to do it. It's mighty difficult though, and I'm still lacking the sound he getse. Where does the popping fit in to all of this?? If someone who has succeeded in playing this could help me I'd greatly appreciate it :)

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

He taps the low C-G notes with his left index finger (A and E strings). At the same time, he hits the F# on the D string, 4th fret with his thumb (fretting the note with his ring finger), hammer to the G on the 5th fret with his pinky and then pops the open G string with his right middle finger.

Hope this helps.

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Alvaro beat me to it, but if you can see a video of him playing it makes it a lot easier to understand what's going on.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Nearly there..there's an extra beat...

"At the same time, he hits the F# on the D string, 4th fret with his thumb (fretting the note with his ring finger), hammer to the G on the 5th fret with his pinky Slaps the G on the 5th fret and then pops the open G string with his right middle finger"

ie: F# G(Hammer On...D string) G(Slap...5th fret D string) G(pop..open G string).

Hope this helps...

Murf

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    When he takes a break during the third minute of that video, doesn't it sound like half of the crowd is booing him?

7. I don't think tapping the C-G-C-G bassline while playing the slapping part is necessary. It's not really that audible even when he does it.

8. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    True..I've done the whole tune live and I started leaving out the the tapped c/g parts because the audience didint seem to notice whether I played them or not...now, the end piece with the dual left hand walking motion and right hand tapping is an absolute bitch to play up to speed.

thank you Stu Hamm bassbook.. ;)

(sadly not in print anymore..but you could try here...)

http://fios.stuarthamm.net:8080/tabs/country_music.btab

(yeah its tab..but you get the idea)

9. They're 'Stuuuuuuuu-ing' him.

10. Nice solo, whats that thing he plays when he first starts tappin, its on about 2:05

11. I haven't seen the video...but my guess is they're saying..."Stuuuuuuuu Stuuuuuuuuuu"

12. Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense

Thank you!

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's the intro of a song called "Sexually Active" from his 1988 debut solo album "Radio Free Albemuth".

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And he explains how to play this intro on his second video.

15. Know where I can get this video ur talking about?

16. Hot Licks Videos, not sure of the site, but I have em both. Good stuff.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, hotlicks stuff is very hard to get hold of. The company has been through so many managment changes and cash flow problems I don't know where they are anymore. Arlen Roth's compnay has really been through the twister in the past few years.

I don't think the videos are made anymore, the ones that exist are stock and therefore limited, which has made getting hold of them tough (I've had people asking at Stuarthamm.net before, since I mod the forum). I made both of my videos into dvd's (for my own use only, you'll be glad to know) so I could preserve them.

I myself had hell getting a hold of them, I paid £25 for the second video when I finally found it, brand new, in a music stroe. I guess that shows how limited the stock is...

18. Thats Beethoven my man, Piano Sonata no 14 in C#m aka "the Moonlight Sonata" written in 1801.... a little before "Sexually Active"

Check out a recording one day its worth your while.....
    Thanks for posting that link, i love TB!
    L.

19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador