1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Important is Tap Tempo in a Delay Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Klaxxi, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    Hey guys, I've been looking at pedals here recently and was looking at delays. One thing that some pedals have that some don't is tap tempo. I understand what the function of it is, but is it something you tend to use a lot? If you were in a situation where you liked the sound of one pedal more but it didn't have it vs a pedal you thought was just ok but did have it which would you go for? Is tap tempo more important if the pedal has a shorter overall delay time? Is it more useful in a band situation than just playing at home?

2. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    idk. Do YOU need tap tempo? If you are gonna use delay rhythmically it is a good idea to get a tap tempo but if you are really into a delay sound you could get around without one. Since you ask this you probably find the fnction important, no?

3. When using it in a band, i couldn't play without tap tempo.

smeet likes this.
  4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Personally I don't use tap tempo much at all. I could see it being important for live/ group music though where you can't just have the delay stay the same for whole songs/ sets.

5. For performance purposes, it's indispensable to me both on bass and guitar. Even if I only use it a couple of times a show, the ability to tap into the pre-existing tempo is a game-changer.

Kevnn4 likes this.
  6. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Not necessary, but you'll be happy you have it if you're using anything longer than a slapback. There will come a time when you want it and boy, it's a handy feature.

7. Up to the individual's wants/needs.

BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.

:cigar:

knumbskull likes this.
  8. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Depends on how good your drummer is.

9. As a drummer, it could be extremely difficult to hear the delay on the bass in a band context (that is, with guitars, vocals and keyboards going on at the same time); particularly if the bass sound is not bright enough. Also, as a drummer, one is often in charge to set the tempo (and possible tempo changes) for a song. Unless the song starts with the bass (with delay) and the drums come afterwards, how is the drummer supposed to know the what the bass pedal settings are ?

So, do yourself and your bandmates a favor, and get a delay with tap tempo. :)

10. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    If you are using clean digital sounds, tempo sync is important because you can hear when it's off time.

For more reverb or ambient like washes it doesn't matter so much, as the delays tend to bend togethr, and off time may actually compliment the sound.

Separately, tempo sync is easier with tap tempo if you don't have a master clock to sync to already. You can do it with the knob easily for shorter slapback with low feedback sounds. For those rhythmic Edge style delays, again, master clock first that syncs everyone, tap temp it it's not available.

11. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    totally depends on the application, for most of my needs ie short delay, and weird playing alone i dnt need tap

however i know some guys need it.

12. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    When I was in a Pink Floyd copy band, I needed tap tempo on my delay for sure. If you want slap back or ethereal soundscapes, tap tempo doesn’t matter. But if the delay is an integral part of a song’s groove, it matters. Especially good is the ability to tap in the tempo even when the effect is bypassed.

knumbskull likes this.
  13. Honestly I had a few delays in the past where I felt like the tap tempo didn't work correctly and wouldn't do what I wanted so for a while I felt like it was a worthless feature and gravitated towards delays that had presets like the flashback x4 and m5. But inspired by Janek Gwizdalas use of delay I picked up a used nova repeater and am actually really digging the tap tempo on it. Easy to get on the right tempo and I even do some things where I'll tap twice the tempo or half the tempo. IMG_3535.JPG

14. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    My favorite delay was the EHX deluxe memory man 550-tt, or if you can find the 1100 even better. Great tap tempo with lots of subdivisions, assignable expression input, and a really nice preamp that can sound thick and defined at the same time. Man, I wish I still needed a delay...

15. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    Thank you for all the replies everyone. The general consensus seems to be that tap tempo can be very useful and worth getting I will probably go ahead and prioritize it in my decision. Ill likely be looking at a Boss DD-7 But if anyone has any recommendations on their favorite delay I would be happy to hear them.

16. That Coyote

That Coyote Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Tap is massively important for a bass player IMO. I'd recommend a Nemesis. it really doesn't get any better for an all purpose digital box. Love it. I also love my el Capistan for a more pure analog sound.