1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How long before you gig a new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Thought this might be interesting. How long do you wait before you take a new bass to a gig? The day you get it? A month?

I brought a Sadowsky M5-24 to the dress rehearsal for a musical I was playing the day I received it. Brought my new Roscoe 6 string to a jazz combo gig the day I received it as well - although I had played it at the Roscoe shop the week before.

So, do you wait to "get to know" the new fish or do you just get wet?

ExaltBass likes this.
  2. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    If it's a good bass I will normally use it the first chance possible. Both Warriors I've purchased I took them straight to a live gig. Nothing like trial by fire lol.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Same day.

knumbskull, trothwell, Gaolee and 8 others like this.
  4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Is this a trick question?

lowendrachel and danalogue like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Man - I haven't bought a bass in over a decade...

But as soon as I am comfortable with it, I can't imagine any reason NOT to take it out...

6. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    That day.

Same strings, and frets. I gigged my 6er the day I bought it after only using 4s. I used the middle four strings to stay grounded, and not lose my place, and added the B and C strings in songs that needed it
    (instead of tuning down to D for instance).

It wasn't a big deal. The hardest thing to get used to were the controls.

7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Earliest chance possible.

smogg and tfer like this.
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    A very long time for me, but only because I don't gig these days. Otherwise, I'd be in the "same day" crowd.

9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Nope. thought maybe there would be som people who needed to "bond/get to know" the bass before they felt comfortable - maybe going from a 4 to a 6 or something like that.

10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm still parking my 9 year old truck in the middle of a parking lot at work, to avoid dings... I'll be going to my OCD counseling session, now.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Early as possible. Only.one exception in my whole life. I bought a Mike Lull here a while back and never gigged it. The bass was beautifully constructed but I just could not get along with it. So I sold it before it ever went live with me.

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Same day, as long as I have a half hour or so to look it over, fine tune the setup and make sure it plays in tune.

moonbass-de and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I always do my Homework first. I consider it practice. I always take it home first get to know it, tweak it etc before I gig with it. Already enough surprises on the gig so I don't need any with my gear. Same thing when I get a new Bass Amp.

14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I bought a bass once and sold it while it was in transit...

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You win!

16. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    Probably at least a couple of days -- just want to make sure the bass is trustworthy before I use it for 3 hours straight. I suppose if I got it on a Thursday and I had a show on Friday, I might use it there. But something like that -- in general, 2-3 days.

17. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am such a gear ho that I take it the same day because I may not own it the next time I have a gig.

Jazzcaster89, rasicci, D Bopp and 3 others like this.
  18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Same day if I can play it long enough to at least find two tones I'm good with.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  19. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Same day

Mike N likes this.
  20. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

How about:
    Guy brings bass to gig. I play it during sound check. Buy it on the spot. Play the rest of the gig with it. At end of gig different guy offers more than I paid. Sold.

bholder, el murdoque, interp and 12 others like this.