How long does beer in a growler last?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by beaglesandbass, Dec 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Self explanatory question. I have a pop-top growler, filled it on Friday and drank half that day, it's remained closed and refrigerated since then. Think the beer is still good or should I toss it?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Assuming you closed it tight, it should still be good. The best way to find out is to taste it ;) It might be a little flat, but it will be fine to drink.

Lobster11 and Will_White like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    To be on the safe side, you'd better just drink it to be sure.

PortlandBass77, CatSquare and mbelue like this.
  4. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    If its flat, you won't notice after the first six or so, just drink them really fast.

5. fendermademygibson

fendermademygibson

Jan 28, 2015
    Yep.

Just my personal rule but I give it 24-36 hours but that is a flexible rule.

I have on numerous occasions recapped (not sealed) an unfinished commercially packaged beer and it was fine the next day. Good beer usually does not last long around my place though.

I have yet to fill my growler. Law just passed earlier this year here to allow a 64oz. The messed up thing is that one was able, long prior to this specific law passing, to have a 32oz or 128oz filled but not a 64oz. What the f**k?

Yeah it will be fine within a reasonable amount of time.

6. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    You can save some for the next day? Wow, one day I will have that much restraint...

Riverrunsred likes this.
  7. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    The Growler isn't known for its beer chilling capability. The Grabber and Ripper were much better at it.

RHFusillo likes this.
  8. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    This is kind of a sore spot with me. I have a good acquaintance that owns a brewpub. He also kindly has guest beers as well so I consider him quite an expert on this. He only reluctantly started adding growlers because in his mind the beer goes flat very quickly. He did, however, bow to customer pressure and did so despite his reservations. I had to agree with him as my experiences with them have only been worthwhile if the beer was consumed quickly - and this is coming from somebody who always gravitates towards draft beer when I'm out.

What infuriates me is how some brewpubs will push growlers even when they know it's going to quickly go flat. I distinctly remember how I was enjoying a pint at a brewpub on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and some tourists from Michigan were also enjoying their beer. They inquired as to how long the beer would "stay fresh" in a growler as they thought some relatives back home might enjoy it. To this the staff said, "Oh, if it remains sealed it will last at least a week". The Michigan tourists ordered a number of growlers for a nifty sum and the staff gladly complied. Who here is going to tell me that the beer was not totally flat by the time it sat in a hot car driving from Maryland to Michigan? It took me a lot to just sit there and not chime in, but I have learned over the years to keep stiff upper lip and mind my own business. If I had the ability to speak with them candidly I would have told them otherwise but that was not possible. So that's where I get my bad attitude about growlers. Unless you plan to drink them immediately, drink your draft beer at the pub and drink canned or bottled beer at home (unless you have a keg system, etc.).

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I expect the beer would last longer, the fuller the growler is. Don't know though.

10. Is a growler what we call a pub pet? That's too funny because a growler here is your old lady's hairy lady bits.

CatSquare and hdracer like this.
  11. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Maybe, a growler is a glass jug that holds about two liters and has a flip top on it.

12. pub pets are polyethylene bottles P.E.T geddit!? Actually, that term fell out and most call them Riggers now.

I have one of those flip top glass ones. Damned if I know what they call them as they are not widespread. The beer doesn't last long enough to go 'off'.

Real beer is hopped and might lose some hoppy zing but won't get infected by wild yeast in a week.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I learn something new everyday on TB.

14. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    The ones I've had around here, northwest u.s., were fine 3 or 4 days after being sealed. That's as long as I've ever had one though.
    They were claiming 4-6 weeks without opening.
    And once cracked, beer was flat the next day if it wasn't finished.

15. If they ever made a container that you can compress the air in it after it's half full, you will be ahead of the game.

The fizz comes out when the air pressure inside the container drops . You keep the remainder compressed at a certain psi , you won't lose your fizz as quickly.

Maybe they already make one........I don't get out much.

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have seen co2 chargers for 2L soda bottles that makes flat Coke come back to life.

17. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You could transfer it to a 'soda stream'(little r thingie in a circle here) bottle and charge it that way.

18. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've run pubs and clubs for over 20 years and can tell you that unless a container of beer is sealed it will go flat quite quickly. In addition to this, even if it is a sealed container like a keg, if the pressure is released or enough positive pressure is not kept in the keg or container it will still go flat.

Then there is the problem of using straight CO2 with any kind of keg (as opposed to pubs and clubs that use a nitrous/CO2 mix). If you leave it pressurized it will absorb the CO2 and become very heady. In this instance you need to de-gas (de-pressurise) the keg when not in use for more than a few hours, but don't completely de-gas as it will then go somewhat flat. If that happens you need to over-pressurise a bit for a while to allow the beer to absorb some CO2. It can be quite a balancing act doing the home keg situation but with practice you get a feel for it.

If you like like large beer containers, learn to home brew properly and learn to balance the gas pressure. I've yet to see any of the recent "Home Fridge Keg" things that are actually any good and the price per litre (or gallon), at least here in Oz, is actually more than beer in the bottle. A decent beer from a bottle, poured correctly into a decent glass is almost always better than any large take-away container.

Basically, if you like beer from the tap either find a good bar that cares about their beer or, as above, learn home keg brewing properly.

19. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Growlers only make sense if all the beer will be consumed quickly. A special occasion like a party. Otherwise the beer goes flat and it loses flavor too.

Growler places popped up all over the place here in the last couple years. A couple have changed owners already. Could it be that growlers are great for those special occasions but not so much for day to day use.

20. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Here I've always been half-squeezing my 2-liters of coke before sealing them up because I thought less pressure was better for fizz longevity. It makes perfect sense that higher pressure would be the answer though, thanks for posting that!

As for beer, I dunno. I'd only get a growler of something I intended to finish that day.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022