1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how long is too long for a cable with passive electronics?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Jul 24, 2012.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    I have a 2012 Fender Am Std Jazz bass and was going to purchase Planet Waves Custom series cables for my setup. I have had excellent success with them in the past. Their customer service is amazing and the quality of their products also amazing.

My only concern is this: To get a cable with a right angle, I can only choose either a 10' or a 20'. I would like to go with the 20' but am afraid the cable will start to lose some of the signal strength of my bass.

With a passive fender jazz bass, at which point is a cable "too long"?

I definitely want to stick with Planet Waves if possible and I really need one of the cables to have a right angle due to the location of the input jack on the bass (otherwise the cable just sticks out too much and is awkward looking/feeling for me)

2. I use a planet waves 20' with a right angle. Great cable no loss here

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have not noticed any difference using a 10 or 20' cable with any of my passive basses

4. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ok thanks so much! I have to admit that I am thrilled with all Planet Waves products I've tried before so I really want to continue to give them my business.

Doubling my cables from 2 10's to 2 20's concerns me... but if you guys say there's no real difference, I'm inclined to believe my TB constituents.

5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    same here. great cable, lifetime warranty, no signal loss.
    get the 20 footer.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    20 ft has always been my max -- active or passive bass.

:: Unpaid Endorsement ::
    Or you could go wireless with a Line6 system and not have to worry about it :D

7. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I don't do all that much moving around on stage... a 20' cable should give me all the flexibility I need (20' from bass to pedal board, then another 20' from pedalboard to amp). it's 40' total feet of cables, which is my concern, but the second cable coming out of the pedalboard has an always-on compressor which has a slight volume boost to it and a tech21 sansamp with a buffered bypass...

8. I agree that 20ft is the max. I've always used the PW cables withe the compression springs. Both 10 and 20. Great cables. Had one go bad at the 90 degree end. Got a new one from PW... No cost.

9. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    But given the setup I described, do you think 2 20' will be ok with some buffered pedals in between them?

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You'll be fine. The always-on pedal pretty much negates any possible impact from the second cable, so it's just the first one that matters. And for most people's tastes, 20' of low to medium capacitance cable is no big deal.

11. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks to Bongomania's review, the always-on compressor I have is a BBE Opto-Stomp at the front of the chain exactly so that it can boost up my signal a bit (between 8 and 9 is unity volume, so I just crank it up to 10 to give it a little bit of a boost).

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll tell you, maybe a super long cord over 50 ft is going to noticeably cut highs, but anything shorter and I believe only your dog will notice. One caveat, though...I'm not a fan of highs in the first place.

13. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I use 20' usually, and even with cheap cables its not noticeable (maybe 40' using a 'living room' setup... Maybe)

but if you still have any worries, why not just use 10 feet from bass to pedal board? Or PB to amp?

14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    How long you can go depends on the impedance and signal level. This is one reason I never understood instruments not using low impedance pickups.

15. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, I see your point (especially since I said I don't move around that much, but I actually do... just not enough to warrant a wireless system)... Ideally I would get 2 15's but they don't make them with a right angle.

Enough people seem to be confirming that 20' wouldn't be an issue that my worries are rapidly dissipating.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Just for the record, active basses and basses with wirelesses have no problem with long cable runs.

17. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    But cables have no problem with latency :p

(just kidding, there are plenty of wireless systems that have essentially unnoticeable latency. Line6 is goodstuff)

18. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    OP, you could always make your own 15ft right angle cable.
    But really, I doubt there's any difference worth worrying about.

19. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Errrm, well, if you had a cable about 300,000 kilometers long, it would have a latency of a bit less than one second, would it not?
    :bag:
    (Smart people on TB, please check my numbers)

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Can't say I ever had a latency problem with a wireless as long as I stand close enough to the PA not to hear a delay.