Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how long?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Aug 14, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    how long does a battery in an active bass lasts, im asking for an average so sont start telling me "it depends on the type of preamp" or "it depends if its 9v or 18v (single and dual battery)".

2. For me, I'm playing about an hour a day, not all the days!
    I can last 1 year with it, I do better in the past!

but I can tell you that "it depends of how often you're playing and how much time you're playing"!

3. It really *does* depend on the preamp - different circuits will use different amounts of battery power. It's a bit like asking how far you can go on a tank of gas.

The batteries in my basses last anywhere from a month to two years.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think it would also depend heavily on if you keep the EQ flat, or rely on a lot of boost. The boost is going to draw more energy.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the topology and how the design is executed and biassed. All my discrete designs are class A throughout, but some IC's use class B biassing especially in the output stages of the chip. So for my discrete it will make no difference, and the IC designs, varying amounts depending on the individual chip, but the load each stage is working into will likely be a bigger issue.

For the original poster's question, unfortunately it's not possible to give a straight answer on battery life. All my active designs vary by a considerable amount, and the one that I designed and sounds best (by far!) would eat a pair of batteries in a few hours, so I power it remotely from the preamp, a-la Alembic.

6. But since you want an answer, how about this: several months for the occassional user if you unplug your bass when you're done. If you gig every night for four hours, then maybe the battery might only go a week or two, maybe less.

As was previously pointed out though, there could be significant differences.

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve got an 18V Peavey Cirrus. I play it ocassionally since I bought it (Sept 03) and still haven´t replaced the batteries.
    I have another 9V bass which I often play and they last 6-8 months.

Saludos desde Argentina

Papersen.