1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many Basses do you Return per Year?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Apr 12, 2021.

1. I recently bought a brand new Sterling short scale bass and its a great bass but I just don't think its worth the price. It was an impulse buy and I've hardly touched it.

I'd like to return it just based on price. However, I feel kind of guilty. This is the 2nd bass I'm returning this year so far. For clothes, I buy and return all the time and don't feel a thing but for some reason I'm conflicted. I also don't want to be labeled a bad customer since I'm a regular there.

Any thoughts on this? How often do you return basses?

murphy, el murdoque and PennyroyalWe like this.
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Virtually never. I buy 99% of my gear second-hand after giving the seller the 2nd degree and doing the necessary research (reviews, etc.). OTOH, I did return a handful of t-shirts to KingSize as they were too long even for a guy 6'4", 210 lbs.

You're perfectly justified if the gear...or clothes...didn't meet your expectations.

Riis

cratz2, Rapisme, bobyoung53 and 9 others like this.
  3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Zero, if you are going to return a second bass due to buyers remorse, you should feel guilty.

4. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    there is a 30 day return policy for a reason. just because something costs more doesnt mean you dont have a right to return it. if you dont like it then return it.

Rezdog, koopus, halcyo and 12 others like this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don’t return anything unless it was defective right out of the box, or it was damaged during shipping. I’ve returned three things in the last 20 years. One was DOA. Two were damaged by UPS during shipping. One was so badly trashed (it was falling out of what was left of its box) that I refused to accept delivery.

Sounds to me like you’re regularly suffering from buyer’s remorse.

A small number of “I changed my mind” returns shouldn’t count against you. However, if you make a habit of doing that with bigger ticket items, it may eventually catch up with you. I know someone whom one major online seller will no longer do business with due to the excessive number of returns he makes. Don’t be “that guy.” ;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  6. I wish I was able to at least BUY one bass per year, let alone return one bass per year...

7. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I only returned one bass in all the years of purchasing them (a 1970's Ovation Magnum 1). If it's one you think you might like and "checks off all your boxes", and there's no way to try one out locally...then that's fine (especially if there is a liberal return policy). But I would never do that otherwise.

koopus likes this.
  8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Prices are also where they are - and steadily climbing - for a reason too. Casual returns contribute to the prices we all have to pay. So it’s not just “all about you” either.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Kinda puts it all in perspective doesn’t it? :):thumbsup:

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    I can count the number of items that I've returned in my entire almost 63 years of living on one hand. And that includes brandnew gear that was DOA. I've never returned clothing or shoes.

swarfrat and el jeffe bass like this.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    None. But then I don't buy a bass every year, either.

I've never sent a bass back, ever.

12. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    This^^^^^^ this is why companies sometimes adjust their return policies and then it effects folks who need to return items.

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Zip, zilch, nil, naught, nada, zeeero.

Nope never made a return in nearly 60 years of playing or nearly 69 years of wearing clothes.

14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I do very little shopping online and would never buy clothes without seeing them first. So far I have never returned any online purchase.

My basses, amps and straps were used and my cabs, cables and strings were new. I know what I'm going to buy so I don't change my mind.

Geo Monty and KaraQ like this.
  15. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    I've never returned one, could have 2 times, but in those instances I've just asked the retailer for a discount due to blemishes/defects.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I've returned none basses since I've been playing basses...starting in the mid 1980s.

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Never. I can understand returning a damaged or malfunctioning instrument, but I consider “buyers remorse” to be an illegitimate rationale. Casually ordering and returning basses just to try them out is a huge waste of other people’s time and resources, adds unnecessary wear and tear to perfectly good instruments, adds to the costs that the retailer passes along to other customers....

18. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Ok, I will say it...

If you are one of those people who keep returning instruments for something other then a defective issue then you are just a jerk in plain English. (That is putting nicely in TB talk)

Is there the exception.
    Sure
    Just bought a bass and lost Your job a week later...Ok I can see that. Meh...Not the Coolest but I get it.

Using the 30 day return policy like a free rental is not cool at all.
    Grow the F up...

TRNSGRL, Rezdog, J_Bass and 42 others like this.
  19. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

if you want to look at it positively - after you return it, someone will get a minor discount from an open box buy.

to answer OP question - i can't rememeber the last time returning a new item to the shop. i've returned a couple GC used items because they were flawed and wasn't disclosed, but as far as returning on an impulse buys - can't say that i have.

Geo Monty likes this.
  20. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I would if it was broken, but it hasnt come up.

sotua and jazzyvee like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021