How many gigs did you play in 2017?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jan 1, 2018.

1. 0: what's a gig?

33 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. 1-11: got out once in a while, less than once a month.

109 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. 12-23: once a month or a little more

63 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. 24-51: fairly often but not every weekend

81 vote(s)
    21.7%
  5. 52-103: My weekends are pretty full

58 vote(s)
    15.5%
  6. 104+: can't stop to talk, gotta run to the next venue

29 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Last couple of years I did this as December was progressing, but... I forgot. So, to celebrate the new year, take a look back through your calendar, and let us know - how many gigs did you play in 2017?

For purposes of definition, let's say a "gig" means you played in front of an audience and money changed hands. Not talking about studio sessions or volunteering for a church worship band (though paid church gigs would count). However, if you want you can count showcases and benefits on the assumption that someone involved spent money for the show even if it didn't go to you.

I've had pretty slim pickings since getting booted from a busy classic rock band - yeesh, a couple years ago now. My own modern alternative cover band had about three gigs and I was asked to sub for a handful more with a friend's classic rock band when their regular bassist was having surgery. I think it was about eight gigs for the year. Hoping to be way busier in 2018.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I played more than I have in a while - 94.

Started playing full time with my current band in April, or it would have been considerably more. Pretty sure 2018 will be my heaviest gigging year ever. Looking forward to it.

Should add that I'm stoked to be able to stick my head out from under the covers this year and respond to one of these threads. For a few consecutive years before this, my gig count was probably between 24-51. I love gigging, so that's not a happy number for me. Got a lot of other stuff accomplished during that time though.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    A bit more than usual [3 to 4 gigs a month] w/ a great summer festival schedule that included perfect weather. Plus, started a long awaited recording project which should be released in spring 2018.

Spidey2112 and hrodbert696 like this.
  4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I need to go through my calendar and records to put together my tax information, but it's probably around 200.

Edit: It's actually 180 paid gigs and rehearsals and 32 unpaid rehearsals.

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England

hrodbert696 likes this.
  6. 10
    Fairly new project. 2018 should be better.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Only 29 paying gigs this year. :(

That's a big drop after averaging 70-80 per year for the past couple of years. I started a new job in February and my schedule really threw a monkey wrench into my gigging/playing. On the bright side, I am thankful for having a job.

8. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Just checked, 86. Lucky to say that most are with original bands almost all in total had a decent payout. Most are at the beginning of the year; started an intense full time job in April and the gigs dipped considerably after (went from 4-10 a month to 1 every two months for a while).

hrodbert696 likes this.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I did better than 2016. Played maybe 30+/- gigs last year. Hoping to get in the 50+ range this year if things work out.

Spidey2112 and hrodbert696 like this.
  10. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    53 gigs in 2017. Hoping to do less but better gigs in 2018.

11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Between 11-15. Not too busy, hoping for a busy summer with the new folk band.

12. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Zero. Woulda been 48 if you hadn’t excluded non-paying church gigs. Don’t know what difference it makes but you made the rules.

13. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Between my two hobby bands, exactly one -- which is just the way we like it. Also a few party gigs and a band member's wedding reception, but no money exchanged hands for these.

14. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Just under thirty. I love it but it starts to be like a second job after a while. Wouldn't be as much a hassle if I didn't have to rush from work to the gig most times. Still wouldn't trade it for the world though.

15. only 1, and that was opening for Tantric and Kirra at a local event center with another local band, so it was only a 30 minute set. Band got rolling in February, we were doing all original material which was mostly already written by the guitarist, but we still had to work out basslines and drums, and then sufficient rehearsal of said material for it to not suck. We were booked 2 gigs, but the first one got cancelled by the promoter. After playing one gig, the drummer dedicated himself to another project for several weeks, and I wasn't directly involved in the ensuing discussions but we ended up getting a new drummer. We were booked another gig beginning of December, but it was also cancelled by the promoter. Got one more lined up for March, and hoping we get into a good groove and start performing regularly.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  16. Heyturnup

Heyturnup

Mar 28, 2016
    idaho
    19 gigs, four bands. Some of the best gigs I've ever played! Only fired one drummer:)

17. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Just short of 50.. had a great time and got to bring out and bunch of different gear to mess with. And once again I’m back to my Precision and 15” Bag Ends..

Pbassmanca and hrodbert696 like this.
  18. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    42. This is a classic rock cover band. It’s a weekend-warrior thing, since we all have career jobs.

I travel up to 3 weeks per month, so scheduling is always exciting. We don’t do rehearsals, so no scheduling woes there. Well, maybe we’ve had three or four actual rehearsals over the course of three years.

When I’m landing at 6pm Friday with a 9pm start time, I get a little stressed, but I’m loving it.

Already have 23 gigs booked for 2018. :)

Space Pickle and hrodbert696 like this.
  19. Only four, but that's better than the zero gigs I played in 2016. Looks like 2018 will be much busier.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  20. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    178. So much for slowing down when I reached 60 years old... ;-)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021