how many pre`s?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dadodetres, Dec 19, 2004.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    ok, for recording, i have the pre in my E-MU 1820, the pre in the mackie board, and also may go through the pre in the amp/sansamp.

is it good to go through many pre`s? i may skip the mackie and the E-MU`s, is this the best way to go?

2. I have a rack full of different pre amps because each pre has it's own sound, depending on what I'm recording and the sound I'm looking for, that determines which pre I choose. I would use 1 pre per instrument.

I have a JLM 8 channel pre that I use mainly when tracking drums because the tones match better.

Do some reading and listen to as many pre's as possible, you'll hear the differences in the way they sound and the way they are built, tube verses solid state is one example!

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    With your specific equipment I would go from the sans amp into the back of the EMU. you will take advantage of the phenominal range of the Emu and not color the sound of the sans amp (which I assume you want?).

I use the sans amp RBI and 1820m.