Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many watts do I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JmD, Dec 29, 2005.

1. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    For a practice amp.

I'm looking for a combo amp just for practicing with, by myself and with a band.

Will 35 watts be any where near enough?

Hows this look?

2. should be fine if your guitarist dont tunr up soooooo loud and have hug amps and if ur drummer has some restraint.

3. hum 35w, I really don't think it will be enough. I'd go for at least 100w. you know playing bass is having to deal with higher wattage. with 35w you could be overpowerd by a guitarist with a 10w amp...

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    35 watts won't be enough for practicing with a band. Depending upon the size of the band and the components involved, you'll need at least 100 watts to be safe. Sure, you could get by with less, but you'd be cranking the amp all the way up, resulting in distortion.

5. MichaelB_71

MichaelB_71

Dec 24, 2005

I would say that you won't have enough power to really keep up, but that is my opinion. I looked at your link, but can't say that I am familar with that amp at all. I would look more around the 120w range or above and probably something like a hartke or behringer kickback with a 12 inch speaker (have played through both, and liked them equally). The nice thing about both of those amps is they also have a decent D.I. if you ever need to run through PA (and use your amp as a stage monitor). Hope this helps & good luck with whatever choice you make.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Good advice. So, you've tried that Behringer kickback, the 1200? I haven't heard it myself, but it always looked like a good value. Sounds good?

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    What often matters most is the size of your practice area. Sometimes the smaller it is the more power you'll need. Small rooms tend to have reflective modes that literally suck up bass, while larger rooms tend to accentuate the low end. I always end up having to set my amp quite a bit higher in my 10x12 foot rehearsal room than at a gig for just that reason. So don't assume that just because you're in a small room with lower overall levels (guitars and other instruments don't have this problem, only the bass) that you can get by with less amp than you use on stage.

8. Wow Bill. That's really interesting, and I was wondering why I would have to crank my amp in our 12x15 rehearsal room but would be overpowering the band at the same settings on stage. Amazing.

9. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I looked at the combo in your link and am also not familiar with that brand at all. I think for that money (about $300 US) you could do better than 35W with a 10" speaker. I agree with the others who say that 35W won't be enough for practicing with a band. You should look at getting a combo with at least a 12" speaker and 100W of power.

I just sold my Behringer BX1200 (120W, 12") and think it's a decent combo and would probably suit your needs well - i.e. it'll be loud enough and it does have a lot of nice features. Personally, I didn't care for it's tone - a little too sterile and tinny - but that's just my opinion. I'd suggest plugging your bass into it before buying and see what you think.

10. That one should be pretty good,I was going to get that one,but I had to borrow some money to my brother,so i got the Behringer Ultrabass BX1200.I like it,it keeps up pretty good with a loud drummer,and a guitar player using a tubed 45-watt fender deluxe.It can be quiet if you don't have much of the mids going,but other wise it works good.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Jeez, I'm running 35 watts into my headphones. Maybe it would be better to start out with an Ashdown Mag300 and an Avatar 2x10 instead of some goofy little combo amp. The last two combos I owned were the Ampeg B-100R and the B-15R with 100 watts. They both worked great for solo practice at home. With a guitar, I could barely hear myself. Add a drummer and you might as well forget it. I recommend that you borrow or rent an amp, take it to practice and see for yourself how much you really need.

13. 3x the guitarist's wattage..... or play with really courteous musicians...
    but not 35 watts! :eek:

14. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    My advice, the more power the better. As much power as you can afford. To be able to always be able to be louder than anybody anytime you want to is the goal. You can ALWAYS turn down. Headroom my friend, imagine that you're Shaq. Lotsa headroom. My gig rig amp is a CROWN 1100 watts bridged, 550 one channel. Mesa Powerhouse 1000 cab for the 1,100, Ampeg 410 HLF for the one channel deal. Practice amp I keep at the drummers house where we practice, a Yorkville Xm 200 Combo. 1 15" 200 watts. You can pick one of those up used for $300 or so.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :hyper:

16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Good point, you can always turn down. But when the heartbreak of premature fartage happens there's not much you can do except beg the guitar player to turn down. Like that's going to happen.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Ding. I think this is a winner for quote of the week.

18. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    Nice. Pre-mature fartage! Got my vote too. :)

19. Another vote for as much power as you can afford. I've got 500 watts, but wouldn't mind more, if for no other reason than more head room.