How many watts is enough?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    my band really needs a PA. how many watt's is enough, some headroom would also be nice. i'm looking to spend about $1000 or less. would probably mic the drums, get a sub, 2 vocal mics and mic the guitars.
    can anyone reccomend good products/company's?? i don't know **** about PA's.
  2. I have a cheap Crate 8 channel PA. It puts out like around either 300w or 600w. I run it thru 2 EV 1x15+horn cabs, more than enough for most small room, just vocal applications. Set me back around $250 for the head brand new a few years ago. The speakers were pricier, around 5.

I think. I know, I'm a big help.... :meh:
  3. That question has as many answers as folks to ask it. Since YOU are the one asking and you have a very limited budget, the answer may very well be - as much as you can afford!

IMO that price range pretty much puts takes you out of the sub realm and puts you squarely into focusing your budget on getting the signal control (mixer and amp) questions solved before you start thinking about subwoofers.

For your uses, the PA should be more to support your vocals and get a good house balance, rather than try to inundate your audience with spine crunching bottom end.

For your budget, Golden Boy is right on track. The integrated mixer/amp is probably the way to go.

Try Carvin - They've got a really neat unit that retails under $600 that has 8 channels with full range contorls, 3 power amps (yep Right/Left/monitor), parametric and graphic EQ's, and a 24 bit digital effects unit built in. With this unit and a selection of 15" cabs with horns, you should have a rock steady, easily used PA with tons (tones?) of flexibility. IMO you could spend a lot more but you won't get anything more usable than this.

Hope this helps.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    172.38 is exactly enough.

Any more and you're just being a poser.
  5. Hey that's ME!!! :p
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You need at least, and I mean MINIMUM - 1.21 jigawatts.
  7. Heh! Sometimes it feels that way...
  8. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'd like everyone's advice on this question band is scraping for a PA now and my drummer saw a 300w system, but I don't think this is enough. I have no idea how powerful a PA needs to be. Obviously I'd get a QSC PLX 3002 or whatever if I could afford it, but we are broke.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Consider Peavey, too.

It seems like everybody and his brother has run through Peavey PA gear at one time or another and there is often a load of it for sale on the "used" market.

It's tough stuff and factory authorized service is available in just about every Podunk music store.
  10. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    We ran a 3k total system last weekend... it sounded good. outside show.