1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Much Do You Practice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TerribleTim68, Aug 21, 2019.

1. rendevouz

rendevouz

Jan 8, 2013
    I´m on talkbass a lot so, not enough:bag:
    I should practice more but what if someone finds the best bass for metal while I´m practicing:help:

nbsipics and TerribleTim68 like this.
  2. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Depends on the day but my fair average would be around 8 hours a day. Sometimes less sometimes more.
    Also, I do not practice for 8 hours straight. I have breaks, produce music inbetween, mix or master stuff...

Also yes, music is my daily job.

3. An hour or two a day, sometimes my schedule fluctuates so it does vary but that's about the average.

4. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Everyday 4-6 hours.
    I'm not in a Band.

LowActionHero likes this.
  5. Not nearly enough. But I need to step it up again. Our last couple gigs were great. But I do miss the days where I practiced my a$$ off and knew for sure that I nailed it and any mistakes weren't my fault. Plus it's addictive, when I practice our setlist a lot I start itching to practice other stuff and actually studying, then I make some real progress. :thumbsup::bassist:

DJ Bebop and Mili like this.
  6. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    not enough

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Depends on what you call 'practice'. Actually trying to improve your playing? The last time I looked, most TBers were comfortable running through songs they already know (topic comes up every few months), so that wouldn't fall under the practice term in that case.

I myself do too little of that. Others would call that 'getting lost in pointless exercises'. My repertoire is thus pretty small compared to the average TBer. I try to practice every day and lay out routines beforehand. How much I practice depends on my schedule, which is pretty volatile. Anywhere from 1 to 3 hours a day.

8. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I practice 5 or 6 set list songs, so about 20-30 minutes daily... everyday... unless I'm not at home. Muscle memory is an important part of learning and maintaining the ability to play our set list live. I'm involved in lots of other things that occupy my time, so I don't waste any- I cut right to the chase and practice that which is going to be played in front of an audience.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I usually practice about 6 to 8 hours per week whether I'm in a band or not. I do a lot of music for television so most of my time is spent composing and recording.

10. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Three hours a day, broken into repertoire, refining existing technique, new technique, and improv.

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I try to play as often as I can. Sometimes every day, sometimes less than that. I obviously tend to put in more time if I’m preparing for something. I’ve been playing for 33 years, so I’m admittedly in kind of a rut right now.

12. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm not in a band and I currently have no plans to play live. Like you, I play as a hobby, and also like you, I have a wife, older daughter, and a job (not related to music). I personally would not rule out the possibility of playing live in the future, but I don't today.

Having said that, I do record cover songs with a work colleague. We both play multiple instruments and sing, and between the two of us, we have the equivalent of a full band. So for me, it is a little more than just noodling at home. I do have a very specific practice regimen that I follow at least 3 to 4 times per week. And I also occasionally just plug in and play along with songs or learn something new.

When I do play or practice, it's usually for an hour, maybe two. I also have to balance it between spending time with the wife and I have found ways around it. For example, I am up at 5:30 AM Mon-Fri for work, and on the weekends I still wake up early - maybe 6:30 at the latest. My wife does not get up at the same time, so I usually grab a bass and practice/play until she wakes. This way, I get at least two days per week without interfering with my time with her. Then if I play two evenings during the week, I'm getting in 4 days easily.

TerribleTim68 likes this.
  13. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I used to run a practice log. It really helped me measure if I was doing the work that I set out to do.

Now I set goals for the week and check in every Monday to see if I met/failed my goals for the previous week.

I switched methods because the log, though great for telling me what I had accomplished, told me nothing about what I set out to accomplish in the first place.

ELG60 likes this.
  14. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    1-3 hours per day that I'm not on duty (I work 24 hour shifts). I keep an acoustic bass in my locker at work, and sometimes I can sneak in an hour or so.

Man... typing those numbers, I'm thinking that I should be WAY better than I am!

ELG60 likes this.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Interesting question.

I've been gigging for 40 years, but to be honest if playing with other people had not been my goal I never would have bothered to put in the time for practice. In fact, until I did start playing with other people my practicing was sporadic because I had so little incentive.

For me, there's no point in practicing if you're not planning to play the instrument every day for many years. When I stop gigging I'll get rid of all my stuff and (doh) stop practicing.

16. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I used to only practice new tunes. I only like to play with music. I’m a feel player and did it very well.
    Lately, I barely play at all.

17. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Currently, I practice less than I need to, but more than everyone else in the band, so whatever. I try to practice at home at least 2-3hours a week. But sometimes I get 1 hour. Then we try try to rehearse about 3-4 hours a week. Still getting it together.

When I first started gigging, I would practice 10-20 hours a week since I was trying to keep up with seasoned pro's who knew way more songs than I did. Did that for about a year, then 5-10 hours, then just did it before gigs at home when the band stopped rehearsing regularly.

18. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    I play 2-3 times a month at my church. In the week leading up to that I'll spend a day on each song (we usually have 5), for maybe an hour, depending on my familiarity with the song. That's ~15 times through the song, so it's pretty adequate. Then the rehearsal on Thursday night with the rest of the band, then Friday and Saturday I'll work on anything that came up during rehearsal.

Outside of that I'll try to play 1-2x per day for 20-30 minutes, usually going through 5-7 songs I enjoy playing. The hard part there is remembering to rotate songs in/out of the list so I'm not sitting on the same set for more than a few days at a time. That helps me keep up on songs for other gigs (we do a few special events at the church a year where we aren't limited to praise songs) and keeps me having fun with it.

Because if you aren't having fun it's a job, and I already have one of those. Bass is my escape from that.

TerribleTim68 likes this.
  19. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    If I were to hazard a guess, I'd have to say that I average about an hour a day. Perhaps a bit more during the weeks whereupon I'm not working out of town, or not working at all on a given weekend.